Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Broken Engine Ground

Old 09-27-2010, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Engine Ground

I was under the jeep today and noticed a ground strap just hanging. I have had a few no crank issues lately and I think this may be the reason. It looks like its coming from the pass. side firewall. Where is it supposed to be attached to? I tried searching, any one have a pic or diagram of the engine grounds.

TIA
Brian

Last edited by Firehound; 09-28-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am interested too. I have been having no start issues over the last month. Starter just clicks but doesn't turn over the engine. On the second through fourth try it starts normally, not a slow crank either. All lights stay on so I doubted it was the battery.

I took it into the dealer and they replaced the starter but I still have the issue occasionally. Sounds like a loose cable to me so I tried to trace the ground and lost it when it goes behind the motor. I replaced the battery yesterday to see if maybe the battery may be developing a short.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:24 AM
JK Newbie

I bought my 07 a few months ago. Same problem. Took it to the dealership and they put new starter and battery in but problem was still there. Put the jeep up on the lift in shop and found no grounding strap at all. There is suppose to be a ground from fire wall to drive train, then also engine to frame.

All's I did was run a ground wire from my battery to the drive train (lower bellhousing) and have had no problems since.
It's been 3 months now, Jeep starts everytime. So far so good.

Last edited by referee2020; 09-28-2010 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by referee2020
I bought my 07 a few months ago. Same problem. Took it to the dealership and they put new starter and battery in but problem was still there. Put the jeep up on the lift in shop and found no grounding strap at all. There is suppose to be a ground from fire wall to drive train, then also engine to frame.

All's I did was run a ground wire from my battery to the drive train (lower bellhousing) and have had no problems since.
It's been 3 months now, Jeep starts everytime. So far so good.
This means you just added a second ground from the battery to the engine/bellhousing. This would resolve the issue that was caused by a loose ground. The negative from the battery is grounded on the engine block/bellhousing from the factory or it wouldn't start at all because the starter has to get a ground from somewhere to work.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

looks like I'm making my own grounds just to be safe. Btw anybody ever find what I was talking about?
Old 09-29-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is a ground strap, flat bare woven wire, that goes from the passenger side engine block (behind catalytic converter down tube) to the hood, I believe this is what is loose on yours. It comes up along the firewall behind the battery tray toward the center of the vehicle side and to a bolt on the hood directly above it. This has nothing to do with starting as it is just a ground strap, not a cable. It is there from my understanding to prevent static electricity from building up from hood vibrations that could cause electronic(radio) interference.

The ground cable goes from the battery negative terminal to behind the engine grounding on the bellhousing. There is a second cable from the same terminal that goes to front passenger fender(body ground).

Last edited by mediocre69; 09-29-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mediocre69
There is a ground strap, flat bare woven wire, that goes from the passenger side engine block (behind catalytic converter down tube) to the hood, I believe this is what is loose on yours. It comes up along the firewall behind the battery tray toward the center of the vehicle side and to a bolt on the hood directly above it. This has nothing to do with starting as it is just a ground strap, not a cable. It is there from my understanding to prevent static electricity from building up from hood vibrations that could cause electronic(radio) interference.

The ground cable goes from the battery negative terminal to behind the engine grounding on the bellhousing. There is a second cable from the same terminal that goes to front passenger fender(body ground).
Yup, that's the one I was talking about. Now I don't feel so paranoid about it just hanging around. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Broken Engine Ground