Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Brake lights coming on by themselves

Old 02-02-2013, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights coming on by themselves

Has anyone experienced any problems with the brake lights coming on by themselves? My 2012 has been doing that a couple times today. I've found them on when I looked out.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Skidster
Has anyone experienced any problems with the brake lights coming on by themselves? My 2012 has been doing that a couple times today. I've found them on when I looked out.
You mean the Jeep is parked and the key is OFF. Sure it isn't a reflection off of something else?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
You mean the Jeep is parked and the key is OFF. Sure it isn't a reflection off of something else?
All by itself. No one is in or around the Jeep. It is off, and locked up.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the brake switch. They are usually connected to the brake pedal. It may need adjusting.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Check the brake switch. They are usually connected to the brake pedal. It may need adjusting.
That and it happened to me on other vehicles, not sure if our jeep is designed that way. But usually by the brake pedal itself, there is a rubber grommet that pushes against the brake switch to deactivate the brake light. But when that rubber grommet/stopper is missing there is nothing to push that brake switch in, which allows the brake light to always be on. Worth checking into.....

Quick Reply: Brake lights coming on by themselves