Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

botttom line: is it worth replacing speakers and keeping the factory deck?

Old 12-07-2009, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default botttom line: is it worth replacing speakers and keeping the factory deck?

Ama*on has the DB651 speakers on sale for $35 shipped right now.

I have the factory infinity system and one of my speakers sounds a little blown. Will it be worth replacing soundbar and front speakers with these for <$70 shipped? Or will they be quiet without a new amp due to impedance mismatch (4ohm vs 2 from what I have been reading)
Old 12-07-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wait, lets back up. Are you saying that the Infinity speakers in the JK are running at 2 Ohm? If that's true it's the first I'd heard of it. Or are you saying that these speakers you're looking at are 2 Ohm rated?

Your blown speaker, does it sound like this when you're playing an ORIGINAL CD or MP3's only? If it's only when you're playing MP3's you've got a problem with the file itself which is a natural byproduct of the MP3 compression CODEC. If it's happening when you're listening to an original CD (I stress that) then you probably DO have a blown speaker. Is your Jeep no longer under warrenty?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

It happens with original recordings, so I think it is actually blown or damaged. Did not think about having it replaced under warranty, I figured they would tell me tough luck and that it was my own fault ^_^

This is the thread I was reading, but I didn't read the whole thing and notice that he replaced the amp
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/stock-infinity-amplifier-amp-install-30571/#post413144

doh'
Old 12-07-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, then you're going to need new speakers. It sucks, but that's where we're at.

And the factory deck is just fine for now.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

I put 4 of the 651s's in mine (soundbar and dash) and they improved the sound A LOT. $35 is a great deal. Still have the stock radio. Going to add an Infinity Basslink ($150 right now on Amazon - also a deal!)
Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

If you are still in the adjustment period 3/36 it may be covered by your warranty.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I would say check the dealer... I used to have problems with the Mach system in my 02 Mustang GT and speakers would blow all the time. They took care of them each time for the 7yrs I had the Mustang. It came down to every time they replaced a speaker I would tell them the warrenty on that starts over so if a new one blew in a diff spot I would just swap the speaker possitions and get them replaced.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Unless I'm mistaken the OP states his JK has a different amp than came factory.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the original amp and headunit. Thanks for the replies. the basslink looks interesting too.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I replaced my front and rear speakers with mid-range/grade Infinity speakers and added a Basslink. Kept my stock single disc HU stocker for now (free Sirius). Sounds 100X better than the stock base stereo, that's for sure.

Need to do the tweeters and cross overs, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Going to run better wiring too, but only when I swap the HU for a navi or media type. I know the tweeters would help a lot, the stockers leave a lot to be desired, but even so it's much, much improved.

You have to bear in mind, imaging in a Jeep isn't great anyway. If sound quality is your thing it's not the best ride to start with in coming up with a good sound system. But you can get acceptable sound quality as well as good volume even topless without breaking the bank.

The only trick was in replacing the front speakers... they are in sealed boxes in my 09. The boxes are designed jsut for the lower power/range stock crap speakers and sound TERRIBLE with anything better. I vented them (and getting em out is real fun, let me tell ya) with a full inch sized hole and they sound fine now.

Quick Reply: botttom line: is it worth replacing speakers and keeping the factory deck?