Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

To BOOM or not to BOOM that is the question

Old 02-25-2013, 03:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To BOOM or not to BOOM that is the question

i currently have a 2013 JKUR and i am doing some serious internal debating as to whether or not i should put some subs in my jeep. i have always had higher end systems in my vehicles and when i pre ordered my jeep i bought some T1 6.5 fosgates to replace the stock speakers and i have a T1500BDCP amp and two T1-10's that i took out of my audi that i could put in the jeep. but i feel like the 2 10's will be too much and i'm not satisfied with putting just the new dash and soundbar speakers in there because i would need a better amp than stock to drive them. and in turn i would want to put a Kenwood Nav in there to make things easier as far as hooking up the amp and in my mind this just leads to going ahead and putting the subs in there. so that is my internal dilemma. i would love to hear the opinions of people who currently have a jeep with a good set of subs in there and what their opinions are as far as how much space it takes up. how loud it is outside and how much it vibrates the hard top. the last one is my main concern i've never heard a sound system in a jeep before and imo rattling on the outside negates whatever you may hear on the inside.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 300W RMS 10" sub bolted to the rear gate in a sealed truck box. I'm driving a 75W RMS system thru a Kenwood HU. My system sounds prety good for a Jeep. Music is like the Jeep itself. If it calls you, do it.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2dr with a single Rockford 300w rms 12", the sub kicks hard so with soft top no rattling, but hard top made a racket so I put an extra layer of self adhesive spongy (probably neoprene) tape on the mounting surfaces of the hard top and that solved most of the rattling. Everyday listening keeps me around 95-100 spl so that keeps the rattling minimal but sound loud enough for me to love the setup. Anything above that and the rattling really takes over. For my purposes I can't justify spending the money to boom mat the whole Jeep, I can't see it improving the rattling that much at those levels anyway...
Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 PM
JK Freak

To Boom is the answer
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a single low profile 10" with 300 watt amp and it puts out plenty of bass with the top on. I'd add another in a heartbeat but I want a stealthy install, no big box in the back. I used the stock location and may retool in the spring when I can work with an open garage.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will appreciate the extra bass when the top is off.

With the hardtop you might hear some rattling that is easily solved with some thin insulation tape on the bottom of the top's mounting surfaces to the rear tub. The freedom panels have a pretty thick rubber seal around them which should prevent any vibration. From the outside you may hear a slight vibration from the license plate and spare tire carrier. The vibration might increase the infamous "tailgate rattle" which is easily fixed adjusting the rubber bumper on the tailgate door, softtop or hardtop.

I'm waiting to put a very similar setup in my JKUR, t1000bdcp and 2x p3-10s. I ran a pair of Kicker 10s in my TJ with a t600.2 which gave good results. Box size will get close to the 1.5-2cuft range, which isn't massive but will make a dent in your storage.

My box is planned to be 38"x12.5"x8", being as short as feasible for the subs going in it. This width will allow me to relocate the sub box to the rear, behind the seats, or if I fold the seats down I can move them forward if needed. With a good set of binding posts (not a plastic cup) I will be able to remove them entirely if necessary.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM
JK Freak

I've currently got 1 JL Audio 10w6v2. Love them speakers. I'll probably either add another 10 eventually with some custom made boxes or I'll bump up to 12's and make some custom boxes.

So with that being said, I say slam some subs in it and enjoy the vibrations.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

I have two JL audio w3's (500w rms each) and the only thing that drove me nuts was the license plate. I fixed it with Dynamat. I absolutely love them, but I have a soft top so I can't speak on behalf of the hard top vibration. If you do decide to boom set them up in a down fire box it will drastically change the sound for the better!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Newbie

I built a box with an Alpine type-r 8in stuffed under the passenger seat. Works perfect but took alot of time and effort to get the box just right. It is right at .3 sqft, just what the alpine calls for. I have a fosgate pbr-300x1 behind the glove box... i modified tbe glove box to be shorter whicb allowed proper breathing space. Connected to factory headunit. Took my time tuning the system and i can turn it up to 30 with no distortion at all... its amazing. The best system i have built this far in my life!

I didnt take the time to take pics so i will work on it. If anyine wants demensions for my box i can do that as well. Like i said i spent months researching the best way to stealth mount in a jeep and measured 10times so i could cut once. It is the best sounding system i have had... the type r is amazing. Pushes 300rms and 1000 max.

I will work on getting some pics!!! Cheers
Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

You always BOOM...

Quick Reply: To BOOM or not to BOOM that is the question