Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Bone Stock CD Player X Model

Old 04-22-2008, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bone Stock CD Player X Model

I went to get a new head unit today at Best Buy and the guy said I need a part thats like 150 bucks because all the computer controls are built into the radio or something??? Is this guy on glue or is this only on the Infinity stereo models???

Thx
matt
Old 04-22-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both harnesses are quite expensive... The infinity model is more expensive than the standard model. Ebay might be the cheapest route to go though, or you can skip the entire harness and wire up your own setup.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Metra CHTO-03 i understand is for the Infinity unit, does anyone know the part # for the non-Infinity unit?

thx
matt
Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

I have a "X" w/ basic audio, and I attempted to have a Pioneer AVIC D3 installed in mine. Of course my local Best Buy is worthless with out anything they need to install anything in ANY vehicle in stock, but beside the point.

I know they ordered the cheaper Metra harness for me, and then after everything came in, I arrive for the scheduled appointment for install (figure, screw it they'll do it for free right?) Wait 2 hours for the guy to tell me "Sorry, wrong harness..."

And there was no audio from the front speakers....

I knew better, since I had done my reading here, I knew it would work, but would require some finesse for the VSS and parking brake deal on the AVIC-D3..

Long story short... Guy @ Best Buy is an idiot. But depends on what you're putting in. (from my experience)... If it's something simple, no navigation, no DVD, the cheaper METRA XSVI-6522 harness will get you by.

If it's something with DVD / Nav.. Get the better one: METRA CHTO-03 or PAC C2R-CHY2, (and have fun watching an installer, or have fun yourself trying to fit that extra box you need some where in the dash.. lol!) and it doesn't matter if it's with the Infinity system or not. Works just the same I guess.

But, moral of the story... by the time I'd have to buy the harness ($130), mounting kit ($20), and head unit ($650), for a less than "factory finished" look, I bought a MyGig w/ Nav for less money.. At least now, no dash cutting and no screaming "STEAL ME" look on my dash.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you need a harness or can somebody just connecct the two using those red/blue/yellow wire connectors? but what computer controls are you/is he talking about? the only other thing i can think of is for the ignition switches and if you have a surius antenna or something because really, it's just a basic stereo. i have one in my X, only i added a basslink, so i had best buy do it and i had to buy the stuff needed but i can't complain...
as for that D3, i thought about getting one and still might, i didn't think it screamed steal me, doesn't look too aftermarket
Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

still confused...
Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi i installed a pioneer z2 without a harness , just wired it up myself worked great no problems. when you said something about the computer going though the radio. their are the data bus wires going to it . but thats for the factory my gig so if you install a after market stereo you dont need them. if you install aftermarket nav you will need a harnness to get the vss wire conncetion (PAC C2R-CHY2 ) but all the other wires you can get without the harnness . hope that helps .
Old 04-23-2008, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

last time i was looking for new head unit, i looked at crutchfield and i remember correctly the new harness was like 59 $ if you buy the unit from them, and it comes with free install kit etc...
Old 04-23-2008, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as wiring up yourself, basically you're going to ignore the factory harness altogether. You run your own speaker wires, your own power wire, your own ground, and your own dimmer wire (if you want).

It's messier, but it lets you save a few dollars (You will need to buy wire though). The harness just makes life easy by being plug and play. I went with the plug and play route.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

I paid like $50 for my harness and it has the TV/DVD/NAV

Quick Reply: Bone Stock CD Player X Model