Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

On Board Battery Charger

Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On Board Battery Charger

Two Questions to be answered:

Does anyone have any experience with Fully Automatic On Board Battery Chargers in their Jeeps?

Does anyone have any experience with Fully Automatic Solar Trickle Charging systems in their Jeeps?

Short Story:
I've sadly been on the other side of the country from my Jeep, and my situation is such that I can't always have someone start her up and drive her around to keep the battery charged. It is stored outside in a cold climate (Winter) and has a Diehard Platinum Marine battery (which I was shocked to hear that it died). I believe I have a parasitic draw (of which I have a friend that will check this for me and isn't the purpose of this posting). I wanted to get some type of trickle charger to keep it topped off, parasitic draw or not.

I found some Fully Automatic onboard chargers that need to be plugged into a wall outlet via extension cord, just curious if anyone has used these. I'm also interested in any specifics anyone may have regarding solar trickle chargers that are fully automatic. Thanks for your responses. Again, the parasitic draw is being diagnosed, and isn't what I need help with.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

I have been using 2.5 watt and 5 watt solar panels to keep the batteries charged over the winter on various pieces of equipment that sit idle for long periods. These can be described as Float Chargers, or Maintainers.
It has worked well. Periodic inspection has shown all the batteries to be fully charged.
The 2.5 and 5 watt panels don't require a charge controller as evidenced by the batteries showing no water usage over the winter.

Lead acid batteries (including your AGM) do periodically require a timed charge at higher voltage for long life. Absorption Charge, and Gassing Cycle are terms used for this.

When your JK will sit for long periods, the manual recommends pulling the Ignition Off Draw fuse for longer than 21 days storage, and disconnecting the battery negative cable for longer periods. Disconnected, your AGM battery should show minimal self discharge for several months.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-07-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Battery Tenders on pretty much everything I own that has a battery from the lawn mower and 4 wheelers to the Jeep and muscle cars. I have used their 6 volt, 12 volt and 24 volt "trickle chargers/maintainers" for several years without a problem. It is great not having to worry about a dead battery when you want to use something.

www.batterytender.com]Home page - Batterytender.com[/url]

Last edited by Ryan0260; 04-08-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Dodge I installed a BatteryMinder onboard system. I leave that thing plugged in all the time and when charge is realized it goes into maintenance mode effectively keeping the desulphation process complete on a set of batteries. Cool part is that it continues this while driving too. On my last set of batteries (this set now) I use NO baking soda , mats , etc on any of the terminals on that truck and on cold nights when the heater grids kick in (107 Amps @ 12V ) the charge needle barely dips now before I hit the key. Definitely going to do the JK next.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
JK Freak

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Fenrir
. . . has a Diehard Platinum Marine battery
Originally Posted by Hot Duck
I have Battery Tenders

www.batterytender.com]Home page - Batterytender.com[/url]
I use the same Diehard battery and a Battery Tender - works great.

Quick Reply: On Board Battery Charger