Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Better Siruis antenna?

Old 07-19-2007 | 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better Siruis antenna?

Anyone upgrade their sirius satellite antenna? I know this has been discussed about how bad reception is through the trees. It is the receiver or the antenna that needs upgrading? My wife's XM works GREAT in the garage. If I get too close to the garage with the Jeep, the signal goes out.
Old 07-19-2007 | 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

In my very un-scientific experiment, I found that my Sirius reception is way better with the Freedom Top lids off (the front ones).

Places where the signal cuts out on I-64 in Hampton Roads are not a problem when I drive with the tops off.

I'm fully sure that this is a coincidence and not some "mod" or "discovery".

However, I put it to this august body - is there any chance there is a correlation?
Old 07-19-2007 | 03:04 PM
JK Freak

Try moving it to the drivers side. Simple thinking really would of had jeep put it there. Just think, which side of the jeep is less likley to be covered with trees? the side against the center line or up against the tree line? believe it or not the 4 feet made a difference with mine.
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

I added a Sirius head unit to my JK so I bought an aftermarket antenna from amazon ($40 vs over $100 for a Mopar antenna). The brand is Terk, and I have it installed on the driver's side, on the sport bar (roll cage) just behind where the plastic header bar is located.

Still have some dropout of the Sirius signal when going under an overpass, but it's not that bad.

The sad part is my XM Roady had a better antanna than the one I bought. Never a lost signal with my Roady.
Old 07-20-2007 | 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

got antenna from circuit city and same crappy reception.....original did not work at all because of the padding and carpet I installed on top...lost total signal sirius sux!
Old 07-20-2007 | 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mslc10
got antenna from circuit city and same crappy reception.....original did not work at all because of the padding and carpet I installed on top...lost total signal sirius sux!
you say that the carpet you added to your hard top killed your reception? the signal manages to go all the way through the seat and hard top without carpet, but adding that extra 1/8 inch of carpet kills it????

while still....

Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk
Try moving it to the drivers side. Simple thinking really would of had jeep put it there. Just think, which side of the jeep is less likley to be covered with trees? the side against the center line or up against the tree line? believe it or not the 4 feet made a difference with mine.
he says the reception is better when the antenna is moved to the driver's side and he puts his entire body on top of the antenna, just because it is four feet further from the trees?????

i'd better put on my waders cuz it's gettin' a little deep in this thread.
Old 07-21-2007 | 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

don't know what you are refering to as far as under the seat...nobody said their's was under the seat?....mine was on top of rol bar and after i carpeted the top (actually 3/8 foil backed padding and then carpet) there was no signal....go figure for yourself....added ant. to hood and the signal came back but did not improve reception ...I have had xm and this sirius and as far as reception and quality of sound xm was hands down the winner...this was before the xm-sirius merger.

Last edited by mslc10; 07-21-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-24-2007 | 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is this first time I've had Siruis. My signal does flicker out sometimes in trees or underpasss but I'm totally surprised that it works in the underground parking garage at work. It's two stories underground with a high rise building on top. Why does a few branches mess it up but 25ft of concrete and dirt doesn't?
Old 07-24-2007 | 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the ideas. I am starting to believe that it is just the head unit in the dash that sux.

FYI, XM and Sirius have NOT merged yet.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...4satradio.html

Cliff notes:
They just upped the ante to the anti-trust committe with thier "a la carte" offer. To bad you will need a new radio to take advanrage of it!
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rabidranger
Thanks for the ideas. I am starting to believe that it is just the head unit in the dash that sux.

FYI, XM and Sirius have NOT merged yet.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...4satradio.html

Cliff notes:
They just upped the ante to the anti-trust committe with thier "a la carte" offer. To bad you will need a new radio to take advanrage of it!
Dude, the hell with the antenna! I love your aviatar!

Quick Reply: Better Siruis antenna?