Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best tweeters to install

Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by soludsnake
Hoes does the MyGig work w/ after market speakers? I guess your using amps though?
I've created a Hybrid Factory OEM system with Aftermarket amps and speakers. I'm an electrical engineer and did some reverse engineering and modifications on one of the Infinity OEM amps. Basically, I took a Chrysler Town and Country Mini-van Infinity 12 channel amp, which is also a surround sound amp and modified the outputs on the circuit board so it can be directly connected to aftermarket amplifiers. Since it's a Chrysler OEM Infinity amp, it directly communicates with the MyGig RER, just the same as if it was in a Chrysler Town and Country, plus it mounts perfectly in the same location the JK Infinity amp is located under the steering column.

So basically, the audio outs and can bus communication lines from the MyGig, directly connect to the Infinity Chrysler T&C amp, then the outputs from the T&C amp, feed the inputs of the amps I have shown in the picture below, then the outputs from those amps drive my speakers.

You could also just connect a speaker level to line level converter to the outputs from the MyGig RER and connect those line level outputs to aftermarket amps, which many people have done on this forum also.

Here's the overall layout of my current system.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-02-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have another question now.

If I upgrade my tweeters and front speakers w/ a set of Polk DB6501's, is there a way to keep the stock head unit but change the stock Infinity Amp and replace it with a better one in the same location? Im trying to keep it as stock looking as possible but have it sounding better.

I dont have an issue with the sub so thats not a big issue.

Thoughts? What amp would you guys suggest if this is even possible?

How powerful is the stock infinity amp I have in there already?

Last edited by soludsnake; 06-03-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replacing speakers to the Jeep HU is a waste because its so under powered. I say HU first. Amp and sub second and wait for a great deal on some 6.5 in. speakers.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

My upgrade order was:
1. Head Unit
2. Rear Seat Video Displays
3. Existing Speaker replacement
4. Amplifiers
5. Rear/Sub Speaker Box
6. New Battery, Big 3 wiring upgrade, Large Capacitor
7. Hearing loss

Currently looking into getting some of the Hot Head Liners, to further reduce the outside noise.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sure all recommended componants are marine / water proof..... right? otherwise.... what's the point?

JKs leak... espeacially when you left the top at home.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
I'm sure all recommended componants are marine / water proof..... right? otherwise.... what's the point?

JKs leak... espeacially when you left the top at home.
"Marine" does not mean "water proof".....far from it. Throw a marine amplifier or speaker into a bucket of water while it's turned on and let us know what happens to it. I already know what will happen, but it seems you don't....so it could be a good learning experience for you, so next time, you don't jump into the middle of a conversation and make dumb comments.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll

"Marine" does not mean "water proof".....far from it. Throw a marine amplifier or speaker into a bucket of water while it's turned on and let us know what happens to it. I already know what will happen, but it seems you don't....so it could be a good learning experience for you, so next time, you don't jump into the middle of a conversation and make dumb comments.
Oh No.... Some1s clit has sand in it. Lol
Old 06-05-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I m not a scientist but i do appreciate a crystal clear stereo!

You have gotten a lot of opinions so far, so here's my two cents! I have had a lot of different cars all with aftermarket stereos. All those charts are crazy! Especially in a vehicle that is very difficult to actually make sound good! Its hard to make it sound good because well its a jeep. The doors come off, the roof is off the soundbar is made of plastic.......etc.. its just not your ideal sound stage!! Secondly If you are asking these questions I doubt you will be using any of those charts in the first place or changing circuit boards around! I m not saying that they arent good ideas but they are just a little too complicated. If what you are looking for is something clearer and louder then this is my suggestion.

1. Get some speakers- there are a million of them, they dont need to cost a fortune but almost any after market speaker is going to sound better than a factory speaker! Separates in front and co-axial for the soundbar. If you can get the amp and speakers at the same time!

2. Amp- the speakers will produce the clearer sound but your amp is going to give you the power to keep them sounding clear and reach higher volumes! And when the doors are off you are going to want to turn it up. They make adapters that will take your factory speaker output wires from your factory headunit and turn them into outputs to go into your amp.
For an amp I went with a 5 channel for one reason. It powers everything including a sub if you decide to get one.

3. Head Unit- It will make your stereo even clearer and you will be able to fine tune your stereo. The power a head unit provides is nothing compared to what an amplifier will give you and if all your doing is amplifying crap speakers then your just making louder crap!

4. Sub- gives you the complete sound

The way I do it is start with your budget and build from there. check out onlinecarstereo.com awesome prices and they offer a warranty. I purchased all of my components from there and did not have a single issue and saved about 1k.
In my experience with stock head units amps and subs, well they are a pain! its a conspiracy every aftermarket stereo works exactly the same they are all universal(except the head unit plug) but on the other hand every factory stereo uses a different plug anywhere they can put one. As of late they have been making more and more adapters, something to ask the guy at your local stereo shop about. Stereo shops are great to get advice from and install help but everything else in there is way over priced they cant compete with the internet. They will tell you that the internet people arent authorized dealers....all an authorized dealer can offer you is a warranty and now a days the internet will offer the same.

Stereos are like everything else on a jeep you can spend 500 or 5000.

Good luck
Happy to answer any questions- I did my own installation and replaced everything!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by soludsnake
Im guessing amazon.com/Infinity-109T-1--Inch-Edge-Driven-Tweeter/dp/B00190Z7WQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307054213&sr =1-1" these are them. Different grill, hopefully they are protects like the 10.7's
Don't get the Kappa 10.9t unless you want to do some modding. I just got a pair and they made the tweeter housing bigger with this model. I read about it but I guess I was hoping for the best.

Last edited by dahcar; 06-14-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dahcar
Don't get the Kappa 10.9t unless you want to do some modding. I just got a pair and they made the tweeter housing bigger with this model. I read about it but I guess I was hoping for the best.
So I decided to dremel my 10.9t s. I cut right where the metal housing meets the plastic. Once that's cut off it fit perfectly without the stock grill.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jun 15, 10 35 03 AM.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	175748Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jun 15, 10 35 20 AM.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	175750Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jun 15, 10 35 33 AM.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	175751

To get the stock grill to fit I cut off the tabs that hold the stock tweeters, leaving only the tabs that snap the grill to the tombstone.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jun 17, 1 25 44 PM.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	175749

Next thing I did was grind a bit of the edges of the tweeter housing so the stock grill tabs could snap in. Once the grill snapped on it was a perfect snug fit. Last thing I did was put a bit of epoxy in the tombstone to make sure everything stays in place.

Last edited by dahcar; 06-27-2011 at 06:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Best tweeters to install