Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best headlights?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Cibiés on my TJ and loved them. Then after a couple months I bastardized them by throwing an HID kit in them ... Younger and stupid...er. I recently ordered another brand new set of Cibié headlamps and high powered bulbs, but I think I'm going to give the newest Truck-Lite offering a try.

My NIB Cibié/bulb setup is up in the For Sale section for $10 cheaper than Mr. Stern (who I got everything from) is selling them for — if you're looking to grab a pair, please PM me. Linky to Classified.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C2U5H
I had the Cibiés on my TJ and loved them. Then after a couple months I bastardized them by throwing an HID kit in them ... Younger and stupid...er. I recently ordered another brand new set of Cibié headlamps and high powered bulbs, but I think I'm going to give the newest Truck-Lite offering a try.[/URL].[/B]
one might think you haven't learned your lesson.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh I've learned alright: next time you go and ruin a $150 of quality headlamp greatness, do the research first instead of imitating high-end projector setups without spending the money and doing it right. The newest offering from Truck-Lites has gotten the "okay" from our resident lighting aficionado (coughHildwellercough) who speaks to experts on the Candlepower forum often about what we talk about here. Other than the possibly target fixation-inducing "X" hotspots -- which I can get past (my 1125CR headlights are worse with an HID kit) -- they put out high numbers and got the seal of approval. Not the word of "god," but good enough.

Plus, they're cool looking. So in the meantime, someone gets a great deal on a set of Cibiés ... and I get try some LEDs.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie

i'm sitting on a hair trigger waiting to order the truck lite's

just waiting till they have made a few dozen more and a few more people on here have gotten them and been happy with them...

currently working on a rigid dually d2 as my backup light and then replacing my fog lights with the new upcoming bdf bracket to let you mount rigid dually or dually d2's in your oem fog light placement!

matthew
Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
Couldn't you just have yanked the HIDs and put the h4 bulbs back in
I had to modify the bulb holder to fit the HID capsule, and I tried to just throw an H4 bulb in after I got rid of the HID kit: beam pattern was way off. Plus, the headlights went with the TJ when I sold it.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rickyj
HID are by far the brightest.

Chose to do this, and remember to re-aim and keep the lenses very clean. Most of the complaints about HID are due to dirty lenses (glare) and badly aimed headlamps.

I got my HID from DDM tuning. they are amazing!

2x on the re-aiming every car on the road will flash you if not!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put in new headlights this week on my JK. I went with a new wiring harness and Hella brand headlights with H4 Phillips Xtream bulbs (they cost extra). It was problably the best up grade that I have done on the JK, hands down. I looked at the Trucklites but the price turned me off, for the same price I could buy a bucket of replacement bulbs and still be money ahead. I've been running Hella headlihgts in my XJ for over 10 years now with the standard Hella bulbs that came with them and I've worked the graveyard shift for most of that time so they get used a lot. I liked the idea of having the H4 bulbs because the contacts on the blub are some of the larges for head lights. Which means that they can handle the full power which in turn means more light out put. My stepdad had a vehicle years ago with Cibe headlights and they were great headlights too, I'm not sure if they are better than the Hella just because I haven't seen any in a jeep around hear. I also talked with one local off road shops here locally and they just suggested that I put high wattage bulbs in the factory headlights, and thought I was up in the night with the idea of putting the Hella headlights in.

What the kit that I bought (from a nonsponser) was a pair of Hella 7 inch headlights, a pair of Phillips Xtream bulbs, and a new wiring harness total cost was about $275 with shipping. Their customer service is great too, I called and talked with the guy (Ray) who builds all the wiring harness and he answered all my questions. The kit took about an hour to install and was a simple, mount the rellays, hook up the wires to the battery, run the new harness, plug in the new harness to the old harness to control the lights and plug the headlights in. there are a couple other steps involved but pretty simple, if you can unhook your battery and turn a screw driver you can upgrade your headlights with the same kit that I did.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Best headlights?