Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best headlights?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip *AZ*
Whats IPF??
They are made by ARB
Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got Cibie with Rallylight harness on the way. Hopefully installed by next week. Ill post some pic of before and after. I hope there as good as people say cause they were $$$.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by nbdude
I got Cibie with Rallylight harness on the way. Hopefully installed by next week. Ill post some pic of before and after. I hope there as good as people say cause they were $$$.
What bulbs did you go with?

I'm on the fence still between vibes and truck lites...

For now I put in silverstar ultras and will be putting rigid duallys in my fog light holes when the BDF brackets ship!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed the ralley kit - Hella/harness/Xtreme +80 - they are mind blowing compared to stock. In fact I just installed some some IPF 968 (windshield) and was less than awed by them compared to the lights. I also installed some LF 170 on the bumper and they still awe.

Truth be told I would have probably gone with the cibies if I was not impatient. Will most likely order some now, compare and sell one of the pairs.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Go with the new Truck-Lites

I had decided some time ago to purchase the Cibie e-codes (since it's basically impossible to get the z-beams), SMS harness, and Osram bulbs. I also investigated HIDs, the previous version of the Truck-Lites, JW Speaker, and the ARB IPFs. I made my decision after speaking to Daniel Stern and reading 100s of threads on various message boards (some dedicated specifically to lighting).

I ended up delaying my purchase and then heard about the upcoming Truck-Lites LEDs. I'm glad I waited; as of literally 3 hours ago I have decided to purchase the new Truck-Lites instead. I came to this decision after reading the results of a real-life test of the new Truck-Lites installed in a JK. The test was conducted by a highly-regarded member of the Jeep community who has tested several lighting solutions. If you want more details, Google is your friend.

The Cibies are slightly superior to the LEDs, I admit, but the difference-makers for me were the lower draw of LEDs and the high burn-out rate of the Osram bulbs (every 6-12 months).

A few more notes: Please avoid HID lights unless you install them into a modified projector. IPFs are an improvement over stock but pale in comparison to Cibies and the new LEDs. Also, keep in mind that the IPFs (and aftermarket HIDs) are not DOT approved. The legality of the Cibies is debatable. The new Truck-Lites *are* DOT approved.

Last edited by OnBelay; 03-14-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 PM
JfK
JK Enthusiast

I'd say dollar to light value is certainly in the Cibie or Hella e-code court. A new H4 harness and Phillips +80 bulbs complete the package. I have the Hellas. I believe it was about $250 for the whole setup.

It is a huge difference from stock. The hella reflectors really light up the side of the road and there is a very sharp cutoff up top. I no longer use the fog lights and when coming up on a small cars my lights don't blind the driver in the rear view mirror. Perhaps the Truck Lites or JW Speakers are better, but in my cheap opinion it's not worth the 2x-3x cost.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JfK
I'd say dollar to light value is certainly in the Cibie or Hella e-code court. A new H4 harness and Phillips +80 bulbs complete the package. I have the Hellas. I believe it was about $250 for the whole setup.

It is a huge difference from stock. The hella reflectors really light up the side of the road and there is a very sharp cutoff up top. I no longer use the fog lights and when coming up on a small cars my lights don't blind the driver in the rear view mirror. Perhaps the Truck Lites or JW Speakers are better, but in my cheap opinion it's not worth the 2x-3x cost.
From an initial standpoint, you are correct. But you will be replacing those 80w (or the Osram 65/70) bulbs once or twice per year. After 2-3 years, the LEDs end up costing about the same, and you won't have to worry about losing one or both (!!!) lights at the worst possible moment.

Either way, the difference from stock is incredible, and you can't go wrong with either solution.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've just gone out and brought a set of light force spotlights. They weren't cheap but after i checked out an article in 4x4 action magazine that had a whole bunch of halogen, LED and HID lights that involved impact tests, water and dust ingress tests, light density tests and actual photos of each light in action the choice in my price range was clear. It is an Australian mag so you guys in the US could probably get better prices.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Guessing you guys have not seen the thread on the new trucklites? I sent mine back due to the crappy X in the light. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Series/page19 They don't fit well into the jeep bucket you have to put electrical tape on the tabs to make them stop rattling.

If you want an LED JW speaker is a better LED light but you have to do some trimming to make them fit.
Yes, with cibies you will have to change the bulb more frequently but at least they light up the road the best.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll have to let you know: My cibies arrived, my harness is on order.

The IPF 968 are now wired up with 55w. The wide pattern in front of the jeep is great on twisting mountain roads.

Quick Reply: Best headlights?