Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Is this the best headlight setup for the price?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very good thread, i did not know that my bulbs would be going out so quick, ill have to get an extra pair
Old 12-19-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Freak

Hoping im not off topic here, if so i apologize. I got an hid setup that i will soon be installing. Wondering what replacement lens assembly i should get. The setup is 9007/hb5 55watt. Is there a particular lens i want to get? Thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

ANy chance the poor life span of higher output bulbs is directly related to the insufficient factory wiring harness. Would the upgraded harness add lifespan to the HO bulbs?
I am thinking about just upgrading my harness for now. with the factory light set up. When the bulbs go, upgrading the bulbs to a brighter bulb, and hopefully either speaker or TL will get "real" on pricing. %00 to $700 seems a bit out of touch for head lights to me no matter how good they are.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trbizwiz
ANy chance the poor life span of higher output bulbs is directly related to the insufficient factory wiring harness. Would the upgraded harness add lifespan to the HO bulbs?
I am thinking about just upgrading my harness for now. with the factory light set up. When the bulbs go, upgrading the bulbs to a brighter bulb, and hopefully either speaker or TL will get "real" on pricing. %00 to $700 seems a bit out of touch for head lights to me no matter how good they are.
The wiring harness itself has nothing to do with the lifespan of the bulbs, the wire gage is adequatly sized for the current draw required.

If you are referring to the Jeep's PWM, then it is actually quite the opposite. The PWM of the Jeep actually extends the life of the halogen bulbs. Your Jeep is actually providing power to the bulbs in pulses. Halogen bulbs cannot turn off instantly and have an afterglow when power is removed. The pulses are so fast that the human eye cannot detect it. So if you have your headlights on for 30 minutes, you Jeep is actually only providing power to them for 15 minutes, effectively doubling the lifespan of your bulbs.

Also Trucklite is VERY in touch with pricing. 550 (going rate) is a very good deal for new housings, poly carbonate lenses and LED lighting. Especially when you consider that a LED headlamp can easily last 10-20 years. The amount you save on replacing bulbs and glass housings more than pays for it's self.

It is just like replacing bulbs in your house with more expensive LED or CCFL lighting. It is a larger initial investment but saves you money in the long run.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am not sure a $500 headlight will save you much when the average headlight lasts better than 5 years.

Now if you compare the spotty built HID bulbs that need replaced every 6 months and the Zenon bulbs that may not last that long then yes you could save.

But while the technology may cost $500 to build the truck lites the price is out of touch with common folks. Otherwise everyone would have them.

Yes people buy 3D LED tv's in 80 inch sizes, but not the majority of folks. I have played the newest and best in my time. But I am older and wiser, older anyway. I'll have a set of LED's someday. I want them real bad. But Just like Plasma tv's that cost $10K at one point and a better model can now be had for $300 on any black friday, these will get more affordable. If not the companies will not last. Eventually the market of high end buyers will saturate, especially if these last 20 years.
Also if these last 20 years, people own rigs on average 3 years, so at trade in time they will sell these used for way less. Us common folks can pick them up then. I am guessing the real market price to reach a large margin of sales is nearer $150 to $200. I think I speak for everyone on the forum whe I say we would jump on them at that price. But just a few will have them at the $500.

That is fine. I am not trying to slam the LED makers. Though it sounds like I am. I am just being real with what everyone else it thinking. Everyone in the market for Cibies ro the Hella upgrade is thinking the same thing. i would buy LED lites for this money. Not only do we have to justify it in our minds but we have the spousal factor too.

I am sorry for seriously sidetracking this thread.

Last edited by trbizwiz; 12-19-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes the stock Jeep light may last 5 years, but people are talking about upgrading. No HID or MH bulb will last 5 years. The average is about 1 year (the super bright ones about 6 months).

But if you are doing Cibies, Osram bulbs, and Susquehanna harness... you are going to be spending about 350 anyways. So why not just spend the extra? Plus really 500 is nothing compared to most the mods people do or the fact a new Rubi will run 30-40k.

The cost of the Trucklite headlamp will not decrease anytime soon. Projector headlights first started apearing on vehicals in the mid 80s (MB, BMW, Audi). I am sure everyone thought that the cost of projector technology would go down as well.... guess what it has only gone up as technology continued to improve and got better. Still 25 years later a stock projector assembly on my Infiniti G37 costs 850 dollars EACH.

The longer you wait, the most money you waste on replacing bulbs.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ColdSRT
I guess I just imagined the two Phillips bulbs blowing out in less than a year. Must have imagined the $50 price tag at the local carquest too.
Well, if you fingerfuck the glass w/the oils on your fingers they will die prematurely.

Also, If you look not-so-hard I'm sure you can find someone that'll sell you a pair of bulbs for $100.

How many years have you experienced these issues again????

I call complete and total horseshit, again.

Last edited by 03fatboy; 12-19-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03fatboy

Well, if you fingerfuck the glass w/the oils on your fingers they will die prematurely.

Also, If you look not-so-hard I'm sure you can find someone that'll sell you a pair of bulbs for $100.

How many years have you experienced these issues again????

I call complete and total horseshit, again.
I've been dealing with lighting long enough to know not to touch the bulbs. Thanks for the lesson though.

The bulbs cost $50 a pair and I don't replace one bulb when they go. I do both.

You can call horse shit all you want. While some figures in this thread may be inflated my experiences/pricing are fact. But I'm wasting my time telling you this because you already seem to know it all.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

What exactly are the forum rules after "Horse Shit" has been called?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flienlow
What exactly are the forum rules after "Horse Shit" has been called?
With over 30 years experience selling, installing and servicing all such named product types professionally the caller is exempt from further prosecution.

Quick Reply: Is this the best headlight setup for the price?