Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Is this the best headlight setup for the price?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C2U5H
I'd love to try a pair of Speakers out, but they're just way too expensive for my blood. The technology will come down in price in a year or two ... I'm not going anywhere.

I do not know the difference in light output between the 70/65W Osram Plus 50 and the 85/80W Osram Plus 50. I had the standard 60/55W Narva Rangepower Plus 50 in Cibie reflectors in my old TJ, and by God they were great. Any increase in light output than what I had before will be an added bonus. From what Daniel Stern has said, the minimal light output difference is greatly offset by the lifespan of the bulbs. Keep in mind, most +50 bulbs from any of the reputable manufacturers (Narva, Osram, Philips, etc.) is about 6 months ... they are consumable items.

Because Hella doesn't make their own bulbs. You're also getting your bulbs from Walmart. Get a high quality bulb from Daniel Stern or Susquehanna MotorSports, but, as I said above, you have to realize that high output H4 bulbs are consumable items. Have an extra pair in your glove box ready to go because they are going to burn out. It's the offset of having high output primary lighting.
Apples to apples bulbs lasted longer in my 77' PU then my jk ?? same wattage same stile wireing ???
Old 12-18-2011, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShakyJake

That is an old wive's tale. I live at 8000ft in a ski resort. Never had an issue with snow or ice build up on the JW Speaker headlights.
If it were a problem, there would be a lot more semi truckers crashing their rigs as many are now equipped with LEDs. I think the tale comes from early tests of LED traffic signal lights, that weren't that high power or were poorly designed.
Agreed. This is a non issue with LEDs.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C2U5H
I'd love to try a pair of Speakers out, but they're just way too expensive for my blood. The technology will come down in price in a year or two ... I'm not going anywhere.

I do not know the difference in light output between the 70/65W Osram Plus 50 and the 85/80W Osram Plus 50. I had the standard 60/55W Narva Rangepower Plus 50 in Cibie reflectors in my old TJ, and by God they were great. Any increase in light output than what I had before will be an added bonus. From what Daniel Stern has said, the minimal light output difference is greatly offset by the lifespan of the bulbs. Keep in mind, most +50 bulbs from any of the reputable manufacturers (Narva, Osram, Philips, etc.) is about 6 months ... they are consumable items.

Because Hella doesn't make their own bulbs. You're also getting your bulbs from Walmart. Get a high quality bulb from Daniel Stern or Susquehanna MotorSports, but, as I said above, you have to realize that high output H4 bulbs are consumable items. Have an extra pair in your glove box ready to go because they are going to burn out. It's the offset of having high output primary lighting.
I agree on the +p bulbs. My Phillips xtremes put out a great light ( see hilldweller's shootout) but the first one went in 6 months. The other lasted about 8.

I am now running the bulbs that come with the rallylight kits. Not bad bulbs. They are not as white as the Phillips but still nice. My hella housings took a rock hit and since swapping bulbs and housings is a pain with the winch in the way I'm looking forward to swapping the hella stuff for LEDs with poly lenses. Just trying do decide what kind.

I would suggest if you get glass housings you put a quality protective film on them to protect against rock hits. The stuff wworks
Old 12-19-2011, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run 90/100's for the past 30 years in Hellas.

Bulbs last far longer than 1 year (like 5 or 6 as with any headlight) and don't cost $50.

I'd like to know how these rumors get started.

Jeeze.

For less than $250 you can have so much light it'll knock your socks off and not the blue horseshit stuff.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03fatboy

Bulbs last far longer than 1 year (like 5 or 6 as with any headlight) and don't cost $50.

Jeeze.

For less than $250 you can have so much light it'll knock your socks off and not the blue horseshit stuff.

So you know metal halide bulbs are suppose to be replaced every year even if they dont burn out. Even if your bulbs lasts for a full year, the amount of light it produces is significantly less than new. Over time you adjust to the declining light output and dont realize it is happening. If you replaced them now with the exact same bulbs, you would see a huge improvement.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ledvshid.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	251649
Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

That is an old wive's tale. I live at 8000ft in a ski resort. Never had an issue with snow or ice build up on the JW Speaker headlights.
If it were a problem, there would be a lot more semi truckers crashing their rigs as many are now equipped with LEDs. I think the tale comes from early tests of LED traffic signal lights, that weren't that high power or were poorly designed.
The JW speakers have a fan to blow the heat from the heatsink onto the lens. Without this fan all the heat would be at the heatink and wouldn't be heating the lens to melt the snow and ice. Perhaps with the shallower TruckLite LEDs the heatsink is close enough to the lens where the radiant heat melts the snow and ice.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
The JW speakers have a fan to blow the heat from the heatsink onto the lens. Without this fan all the heat would be at the heatink and wouldn't be heating the lens to melt the snow and ice. Perhaps with the shallower TruckLite LEDs the heatsink is close enough to the lens where the radiant heat melts the snow and ice.
Interesting, I didn't know they had an internal fan. That said, I have 6 LED Xmitter light bars on my rig (4 front, 2 rear) that have large heatsinks but don't have fans and don't have issues with snow/ice buildup either. LEDs generate more heat than people think, otherwise they wouldn't need the sinks. Since the sinks are an integral part of the enclosure, I bet some of that heat is passed to the glass without need of a fan.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03fatboy

Jeeze.

I guess I just imagined the two Phillips bulbs blowing out in less than a year. Must have imagined the $50 price tag at the local carquest too.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't know that -- thanks for enlightening me! That's an awesome feature.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon

The trucklite lenses stay cool from what I hear. That keeps snow from sticking to a warm lens and negates the need to melt anything off. I do get ice buildup on my halogen lights at times. Never on the LEDs even when not used.

Quick Reply: Is this the best headlight setup for the price?