Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Is this the best headlight setup for the price?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya know I don't remember exactly what I paid for that exact setup. But 270 - 80 ~ ish does sound familiar. Doesn't matter as it STILL is the best thing I have done.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J1nx93
I've done a lot of searching on the forums and have found plenty of info. I want to verify that the best option for upgrading my headlights would be this:

Cibie Headlamps from Daniel Stern for $75 each
Transition Upgrade Headlamp Harness from Susquehanna Motorsports for $129
Osram 80/85 Bulbs
Is this the best option for the price, considering I don't want to pay the $$ for led's
That's a great setup if you ask me.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently put in a set of Trucklite LEDs. The lowbeam spread is good and the brights are great, I only had to re-aim a little because it's a different type of lens. On 4WD.com I paid about $273 per light, so $546 for two, and about $30 for the direct replacement harnesses. The LEDs will most likely last for 40,000 hours so the initial outlay doesn't bug me that much.

Just my two cents. . .
Old 12-18-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CF2010
I recently put in a set of Trucklite LEDs. The lowbeam spread is good and the brights are great, I only had to re-aim a little because it's a different type of lens. On 4WD.com I paid about $273 per light, so $546 for two, and about $30 for the direct replacement harnesses. The LEDs will most likely last for 40,000 hours so the initial outlay doesn't bug me that much.

Just my two cents. . .
Must be a newer design as the ones I played with about a year ago had a terrible pattern. I ended up with JW Speaker LEDs. I know Trucklites is constantly working on their designs, but haven't seen the new ones yet. A big deal is whether they can meet SAE standards and be DOT approved like the JWS headlights. The OPs Cibie setup is approved, and is one of the best halide choices out there.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Trucklight LEDs are too expensive for me, plus the Cibies outperform them.

Search "Hilldweller headlight shootout" in Google and read his finding in post #12.

That, plus I drive in the snow a lot, when it does snow, and the LEDs don't put out enough heat to melt snow off the headlight.

Don't go with the 85/80W Osrams -- go with the 75/65W, per Daniel Stern:
"Use 70/65w. The 85/80w bulbs really have such a short lifespan as to be utterly not cost-effective except in short-duration closed-track usage."
Old 12-18-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd love speaker leds but they're an arm and leg, and another leg, and maybe a head and neck... lol. I'll wait around till the first quarter of next year and see how the new Trucklite's do. Otherwise, I'll probably do the setup mentioned.

Also, to the person who said the 70/75s instead, is there a big difference on the light output?
Old 12-18-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've found the halogin bulbs last longer if thay don't flash on & off when you lock & unlock the doors. I use 80/100 hella 7 bucks from 4WP. or any H4 55/60 from wallmart or who ever ,, I still don't understand why bulbs don't last in the jk , butt lasted years in my old pu.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new (3) 003.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	251397  
Old 12-18-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J1nx93
I'd love speaker leds but they're an arm and leg, and another leg, and maybe a head and neck... lol. I'll wait around till the first quarter of next year and see how the new Trucklite's do. Otherwise, I'll probably do the setup mentioned.

Also, to the person who said the 70/75s instead, is there a big difference on the light output?
I'd love to try a pair of Speakers out, but they're just way too expensive for my blood. The technology will come down in price in a year or two ... I'm not going anywhere.

I do not know the difference in light output between the 70/65W Osram Plus 50 and the 85/80W Osram Plus 50. I had the standard 60/55W Narva Rangepower Plus 50 in Cibie reflectors in my old TJ, and by God they were great. Any increase in light output than what I had before will be an added bonus. From what Daniel Stern has said, the minimal light output difference is greatly offset by the lifespan of the bulbs. Keep in mind, most +50 bulbs from any of the reputable manufacturers (Narva, Osram, Philips, etc.) is about 6 months ... they are consumable items.

Originally Posted by tazzdogsocal
I've found the halogin bulbs last longer if thay don't flash on & off when you lock & unlock the doors. I use 80/100 hella 7 bucks from 4WP. or any H4 55/60 from wallmart or who ever ,, I still don't understand why bulbs don't last in the jk , butt lasted years in my old pu.
Because Hella doesn't make their own bulbs. You're also getting your bulbs from Walmart. Get a high quality bulb from Daniel Stern or Susquehanna MotorSports, but, as I said above, you have to realize that high output H4 bulbs are consumable items. Have an extra pair in your glove box ready to go because they are going to burn out. It's the offset of having high output primary lighting.

Last edited by C2U5H; 12-18-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C2U5H
I'd love to try a pair of Speakers out, but they're just way too expensive for my blood. The technology will come down in price in a year or two ... I'm not going anywhere.

I do not know the difference in light output between the 70/65W Osram Plus 50 and the 85/80W Osram Plus 50. I had the standard 60/55W Narva Rangepower Plus 50 in Cibie reflectors in my old TJ, and by God they were great. Any increase in light output than what I had before will be an added bonus. From what Daniel Stern has said, the minimal light output difference is greatly offset by the lifespan of the bulbs. Keep in mind, most +50 bulbs from any of the reputable manufacturers (Narva, Osram, Philips, etc.) is about 6 months ... they are consumable items.

Because Hella doesn't make their own bulbs. You're also getting your bulbs from Walmart. Get a high quality bulb from Daniel Stern or Susquehanna MotorSports, but, as I said above, you have to realize that high output H4 bulbs are consumable items. Have an extra pair in your glove box ready to go because they are going to burn out. It's the offset of having high output primary lighting.
Thanks for the helpful feedback man
Old 12-18-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C2U5H

That, plus I drive in the snow a lot, when it does snow, and the LEDs don't put out enough heat to melt snow off the headlight.

"

That is an old wive's tale. I live at 8000ft in a ski resort. Never had an issue with snow or ice build up on the JW Speaker headlights.
If it were a problem, there would be a lot more semi truckers crashing their rigs as many are now equipped with LEDs. I think the tale comes from early tests of LED traffic signal lights, that weren't that high power or were poorly designed.

Last edited by ShakyJake; 12-18-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Is this the best headlight setup for the price?