Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best battery and dual battery set up

Old 01-22-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best battery and dual battery set up

What is the best battery for a replacement? i used to run yellow tops but now maybe the oddysey or the sears marine platinum I hear they are the same just rebadged. Also considering a dual battery install I like the benchmark design but by the time I get the kit and two batteries I am out well 600 plus. Ouch . not in my budget so are there any other alternatives out there. Yeah my battery is deader than a smelt right now.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep
What is the best battery for a replacement? i used to run yellow tops but now maybe the oddysey or the sears marine platinum I hear they are the same just rebadged. Also considering a dual battery install I like the benchmark design but by the time I get the kit and two batteries I am out well 600 plus. Ouch . not in my budget so are there any other alternatives out there. Yeah my battery is deader than a smelt right now.
What kind of accessories are you running and what kind of power do they draw?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Optimas have been problematic for some for the past few years. You can search the forums here and elsewhere and find plenty of info on that. As far as the Platinums from Sears, that's what I run. Wouldn't suggest the marine model unless you have an extreme need for a deep cycle battery. They're not designed for constant starting use. Just get one of the regular Platinums. Exact same battery as the Odyssey, both are made by Enersys. Warranty wise the Sears batteries are the best bet. 100 month warranty, first 48 months is 100% coverage the rest pro-rated. They have location all over the US, making it easy to get should the need arise. Odyssey is a bit harder in that regard, not to mention a bit more expensive if I remember correctly.

Why do you think you need dual batteries?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mdnky
The Optimas have been problematic for some for the past few years. You can search the forums here and elsewhere and find plenty of info on that. As far as the Platinums from Sears, that's what I run. Wouldn't suggest the marine model unless you have an extreme need for a deep cycle battery. They're not designed for constant starting use. Just get one of the regular Platinums. Exact same battery as the Odyssey, both are made by Enersys. Warranty wise the Sears batteries are the best bet. 100 month warranty, first 48 months is 100% coverage the rest pro-rated. They have location all over the US, making it easy to get should the need arise. Odyssey is a bit harder in that regard, not to mention a bit more expensive if I remember correctly.

Why do you think you need dual batteries?
What about Odyssey' for diesel engines for European Jk (via motori 2,8 crd). Enersys on their web site recommend for JK the ODYSSEY MODEL 34-PC1500T.
But this is for 3,8 v6 petrol engine!
Thanks'.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Default running things

mainly a winch, But i am often out alone and need the back up.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rj'sjeep

My stock battery is showing signs of death already, thanks to nearly year-round summer under a black paint job.

I sucked it up and ordered the dual battery system from Benchmark Designs almost three weeks ago but I am starting to wonder if it will show up. Haven't even started considering batteries yet.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

How can we invite some experts to chime in;I,m thinking engineers from the winch world and the the light world..or any other world or expert(not to limit the knowledge) . etc. and the effect on the batteries.
Then the cost benefit.. of the duel ! then someone smarter then me put this in write up. any thoughts?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lovehate
at what point does a person evaluate the need for a duel set-up...is it safety factor or the addition of a stereo amp or winch. or because when the ome dies its one of those mods that makes sense.
Dual batteries are the mod that's impossible to regret, and reliability to get you home is priceless.

If you think you need a Dual Battery set-up you probably do....

With today's low-draw LED lights, hard to see a decent battery draining with a couple of lights AND engine turning.

I have Benchmark's dual battery tray kit with two Optimas, bought it so could leave my Edgel fridge powered on while camping.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Dual Battery with RIPP SC?

Will a dual battery setup work with the RIPP Supercharger kit?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

I'm stuck on what to mod, myself.

I want a winch, but I wonder if I should just do the dual battery set up, along with a pre wired relay system, then go for the winch.

Or do I buy a Sears Platinum along with the winch and then save back up for the dual battery set up next? Oh...decisions, decisions...

I know that the main battery needs to be a good starting battery, and the Aux Battery should be one that can handle deep cycles. Can the Sears Platinum handle both very well?

Quick Reply: Best battery and dual battery set up