Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best bang-for-buck basic GPS?

Old 06-15-2008, 07:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy an iPhone 3g when it comes out. It'll have GPS. $199 plus you get a phone. I leave my Jeep open with safari top and like the idea of being able to take my expensive equipment with me. Since it's a phone, you would take it with you anyway and not have to lug around yet another gadget. My blackberry has built in GPS but that iPhone is tempting.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a $100 DConnex bluetooth GPS unit that I velcro'ed to the dash. Then I use my Windows Mobile Smartphone running the free Microsoft LiveSearch. It gives me both map and aerial imagery views, quicklinks to movie showtimes, and cheapest area gas prices.

It also has speech recognition, so you can ask it to show all Wal-marts with in 5 miles.

Only issue is that sometimes that maps load a little slow as they come in over the cellular network. I can cache some maps on my storage card, but in new areas its a little troublesome.

If you already have a Smartphone this is a pretty cheap way to go.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you really want cheap and only use it occasionally, all of Verizon's cellphone have a gps program. It's pretty slick, and since it pulls its locations and maps from their servers, it's always up to date. Plus, you're carrying around a phone anyway, so there's no install, or extra hardware sitting on the dash.

The subscription is 10 bucks a month, which if you were gonna pay a couple hundred for a gps unit, that's 2 or 3 years of the subscription.

But if you're like me, you only need it when going on trips. (I know where my house is.) For that, they have a short-term subscription that gets you a couple days of use for 3 bucks. That's what I do when I travel. GPS for when I need it, no expenditure or hardware sitting around in my jeep when I don't.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Freak

Get a cellphone with GPS! It is easier. I got the Harmon Kardon 300 and it sucks. It would be great if only they would update the maps! There is only restaurants from like 2001. haha
Old 06-15-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

cheep and awesome is what i use, a Garmin Nuvi 200. under 200 bucks and has everything i need.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stoltz
Buy an iPhone 3g when it comes out. It'll have GPS. $199 plus you get a phone. I leave my Jeep open with safari top and like the idea of being able to take my expensive equipment with me. Since it's a phone, you would take it with you anyway and not have to lug around yet another gadget. My blackberry has built in GPS but that iPhone is tempting.
This is the route I'm taking. I have a feeling I'll end up with a Garmin 7 serires too though.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaloCS
Using a GPS off road is not a substitute for knowing how to read and navigate via traditional maps. In fact, I feel that if one knows how to read traditional topo maps your off road GPS experience will be much better.

A GPS is great for getting an exact location which can then be cross referenced on a traditional topo map. The paper maps are better for seeing the bigger picture but nothing beats a GPS for locating your exact position on planet earth. I tend to have both types of maps (along with an analog compass) in my Jeep at all times so if the GPS breaks I can still explore the back country without getting lost.

Is it cheaper to just use a paper map? ABSOLUTELY!!!! But I'm sure everyone that owns a GPS will tell you, IT'S NOT AS FUN!!!!!
You are exactly right. For those who have not used a GPS regularly, you cannot beat it when you are traveling out of town (which I do as part of my job).

I have a Garmin C230 now (just a bigger blockier version of the Nuvi) and it work great for road travel. When I'm hunting, or traveling in the state parks, many of the roads are not on the GPS maps. It's simply not made for that.

It would be nice to have something with the ease of use of the Nuvi, but can work off-road like the Garmin eTrex (the little hunting GPS I have).
Old 06-16-2008, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run a Lowrance XOG and it does the "Bread Crumb" tracks, but unlike the Garmin units it will not only save full resolution track files to your SD card, you can import them back into the unit without a computer, it will hold up to 100 of your favorite tracks all at once and each track can be up to 9999 points not the limited 20 tracks @ 500 points each in a Garmin. You can save all 100 into one file, so you can have files for different areas, Like MOAB, Idaho, Colorado etc.
I added Topo to the SD card so have both up to date Nav-Teq street maps and Topo for off road, very cool.
I also carry the Benchmark Topo books for each state I travel to, they are very nice.

XOG about $200 (Comes with complete US and Canada maps built in, Car cord and mount)
Full Topo with reader writer about $100
2 gig SD card about $25
Old 06-17-2008, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rwamf
I run a Lowrance XOG and it does the "Bread Crumb" tracks, but unlike the Garmin units it will not only save full resolution track files to your SD card, you can import them back into the unit without a computer, it will hold up to 100 of your favorite tracks all at once and each track can be up to 9999 points not the limited 20 tracks @ 500 points each in a Garmin. You can save all 100 into one file, so you can have files for different areas, Like MOAB, Idaho, Colorado etc.
I added Topo to the SD card so have both up to date Nav-Teq street maps and Topo for off road, very cool.
I also carry the Benchmark Topo books for each state I travel to, they are very nice.

XOG about $200 (Comes with complete US and Canada maps built in, Car cord and mount)
Full Topo with reader writer about $100
2 gig SD card about $25
Thanks. That sounds like what I'm looking for.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:33 AM
JK Super Freak

GARMIN . I have the Nuvi 200W.. W= widescreen and it does help with looking at it on the windshield. $250.00.

Physical & Performance:
Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 4.8"W x 2.9"H x .8"D (12.2 x 7.4 x 2.0 cm)
Display size, WxH: 3.81"W x 2.25"H (9.7 x 5.7 cm); 4.3" diag (10.9 cm)
Display resolution, WxH: 480 x 272 pixels
Display type: WQVGA color TFT with white backlight
Weight: 6.1 ounces (172.93 g)
Battery: rechargeable lithium-ion
Battery life: up to 5 hours
Waterproof: no
High-sensitivity receiver: yes
RoHS version available: yes
Maps & Memory:
Basemap: yes
Preloaded maps: yes (regional)
Ability to add maps: yes
Built-in memory: internal solid state
Accepts data cards: SD™ card (not included)
Waypoints/favorites/locations: 500
Routes: 0
Features:
Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 500 ft."): yes (internal speaker)
Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.") : no
Speech recognition (navigate with voice commands): no
3D map view: yes
Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route): no
Auto re-route (fast off-route and detour recalculation): yes
Choice of route setup (faster time, shorter distance, off road): yes
Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.): yes
Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes
Hands-free calling with Bluetooth® wireless technology: no
FM traffic compatible: no
XM® Navtraffic (includes basic weather) & Radio for U.S. compatible: no
MSN® Direct for U.S. compatible: no
Where Am I? feature (find closest hospitals, police & gas stations, nearest address & intersection): no
Car locator feature (marks position when removed from windshield mount): no
MP3 player: no
Audio book player: no
Picture viewer: yes
Configurable vehicle icons (select car-shaped icons for map navigation): yes
World travel clock, currency & measurement converter, calculator: yes
Touchscreen: yes
Qwerty or ABC keyboard (choose keyboard layout): no
Remote control: no
FM transmitter: no
Headphone jack/audio line-out: no
Dead reckoning: no
Garmin Lock™ (anti-theft feature): yes
Motorcycle-friendly: no
Additional: This USB mass storage device is compatible with Windows® 2000 or later and Mac® OS X 10.4 or later.

Quick Reply: Best bang-for-buck basic GPS?