Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Benchmark Dual Battery Cole Hersee Isolator Issues

Old 01-12-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstock
Not that has anything to do with your current issue, but I noticed that most of the dual battery kits I have come across online as well as info on other sites suggest to hook the winch to the Main battery and not the Aux. I'll see if I can find the reasoning for it but seems to be a common theme as I have been researching.

Maybe someone else can chime in here...
The instructions that came with the isolator specifically said to hook up all accessories to the auxillary battery to save the main battery for starting.

UPDATE:

I heard back from Cole Hersee and they said I had a bad isolator. They tested it and it wasn't working properly so they are sending me out a new one.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad it all worked out for you.. i have been watching your updates closely as i was waiting to install my CH48530 (200 A) ...
Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Awesome! So they look like a very reputable company that takes care of its customers.

Glad it worked fine! Please keep us posted of your tests when you receive the new one. Cheers!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Awesome! So they look like a very reputable company that takes care of its customers.

Glad it worked fine! Please keep us posted of your tests when you receive the new one. Cheers!
Well I recieved my new 48530 200 amp isolator from Cole Hersee and it works like a champ! I also installed proper fusing between the isolator and the positive posts of the batteries as well as installing some digital volt gauges for monitoring the batteries and ensuring the isolator is working correctly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital Volt Gauges 003.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	275577

Top gauge is the main starting battery and the bottom is the auxillary battery.

Name:	Digital Volt Gauges 004.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	275578

The engine is now running and charging the main battery (top). And no that does not read "19.8" :rotflmao2: It's 14.9 switching over to 15.0.

Name:	Digital Volt Gauges 006.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	275579

Both batteries are charging in this picture.

Name:	Digital Volt Gauges 008.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	275580

From left to right: Green switch (offroad lights), red LED (main battery gauge), blue LED (aux battery gauge), red push button momentary switch manually connects the batteries in the event that the main one has too little of a charge to start the engine, and the red led status indicator lights up when the batteries are connected.

Name:	Digital Volt Gauges 010.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	275581
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I've added proper fusing between the smart isolator and the batteries since I first installed this back in October 11'. The auxillary battery (left) powers the winch, offroad lights, ham and cb radios, and a 2000 Watt inverter. The main battery (right) powers all the factory accessories.

Name:	Digital Volt Gauges 014.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	275582Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital Volt Gauges 012.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	275583Click image for larger version

Name:	Digital Volt Gauges 013.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	275584
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

That looks awesome!
What are the fuses you are using and what are the digital voltmeters? They look really cool. Actually, the whole setup looks great.

The batteries' support is the original Benchmark or did you change anything?

This mod is on my list so I'll start buying the components shortly.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pkess3
Lol. Yeah I've got a lot going on. Offroad lights, winch, 2000 Watt inverter...
Hey can you PM or post some info on your inverter set up? I have been wanting to get a big one like that for my JK. Grilled Cheese sandwich maker on the trail FTW!!!!!11!!!1 (and a couple other things hehe)

Where did you put it?
Wiring/fuse set up?
Brand?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
That looks awesome!
What are the fuses you are using and what are the digital voltmeters? They look really cool. Actually, the whole setup looks great.

The batteries' support is the original Benchmark or did you change anything?

This mod is on my list so I'll start buying the components shortly.
The fuses are Bussman 150A fuses and fuse holders. The voltmeters are by XScorpion. Model number DVM3R. And yes I am using the original Benchmark battery tray. It's holding up pretty well after having it on the trail a few times. The only thing I changed was the isolator. I was sent the 85 amp isolator (48525) which wasn't able to handle the amperage supplied by the JK's 160 amp alternator. I have since purchased the 200 amp isolator (48530).

Originally Posted by drunkenmugsy
Hey can you PM or post some info on your inverter set up? I have been wanting to get a big one like that for my JK. Grilled Cheese sandwich maker on the trail FTW!!!!!11!!!1 (and a couple other things hehe)

Where did you put it?
Wiring/fuse set up?
Brand?
PM Sent.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pkess3

The fuses are Bussman 150A fuses and fuse holders. The voltmeters are by XScorpion. Model number DVM3R. And yes I am using the original Benchmark battery tray. It's holding up pretty well after having it on the trail a few times. The only thing I changed was the isolator. I was sent the 85 amp isolator (48525) which wasn't able to handle the amperage supplied by the JK's 160 amp alternator. I have since purchased the 200 amp isolator (48530).

PM Sent.
Cool! Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I missed alot in this thread.

1) congradulations on getting the problem sorted out.

2) your set up looks awesome, and is something I'm looking to do in the future with the guage pods and voltmeters.

Quick Reply: Benchmark Dual Battery Cole Hersee Isolator Issues