Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Benchmark Dual Battery Cole Hersee Isolator Issues

Old 01-02-2012, 09:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I went out and fooled around with the isolator a little. I disconnected the ground wire that comes out of the isolator itself and that turned off the status light and closed the connection between the two batteries isolating them. When i hooked it back up they still remained isolated until I either pressed the boost button or if i turned the engine on and waited for about a minute. Once the isolator would connect the batteries though, it would not isolate them just as before. This is really starting to rack my nerves! This is the 2nd isolator I've bought in addition to the one that came with the Benchmark kit.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

How is it you guys are receiving dual-battery kits from Benchmark Designs? I ordered one in February last year and the only thing I ever heard or received from John was a shipping notification in August that, to this date, still shows as never being picked up by FedEx. https://www.fedex.com/insight/findit/nrp.jsp?tracknumbers=915894615002664&opco=FDEG&lan guage=en&clienttype=ivother

In frustration, and after reading of other folks who had similar problems with false shipment notifications, I sent him an e-mail requesting a refund back in September, and I never received that either.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
How is it you guys are receiving dual-battery kits from Benchmark Designs? I ordered one in February last year and the only thing I ever heard or received from John was a shipping notification in August that, to this date, still shows as never being picked up by FedEx. https://www.fedex.com/insight/findit...nttype=ivother

In frustration, and after reading of other folks who had similar problems with false shipment notifications, I sent him an e-mail requesting a refund back in September, and I never received that either.
Ditto. Same situation.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I got lucky. I ordered/paid for mine on 04/23/2011 and received it about a month later.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pkess3
Ok so I went out and fooled around with the isolator a little. I disconnected the ground wire that comes out of the isolator itself and that turned off the status light and closed the connection between the two batteries isolating them. When i hooked it back up they still remained isolated until I either pressed the boost button or if i turned the engine on and waited for about a minute. Once the isolator would connect the batteries though, it would not isolate them just as before. This is really starting to rack my nerves! This is the 2nd isolator I've bought in addition to the one that came with the Benchmark kit.

Try running it with the boost wire disconnected. See if perhaps you have a bad switch and the circuit maybe closed all the time.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok I went and bought the 200 Amp Cole Hersee Smart Isolator (48530) and used it to replace my fried 85 Amp one and ever since I connected the batteries the status indicator remains on constantly without isolating the batteries even after sitting over night. It even remains connected after using my 2000 Watt inverter (which is connected to the auxillary battery) to power my 2 HP air compressor for over 10 minutes without the engine on. It just drains both batteries since it stays connected. What am I missing here? It was working fine for two weeks with the 85 Amp model (or so I thought based on the voltage and when the status light would turn on and off) before it just decided to quit.

Attachment 257442
your diag is correct

hxxp://www.colehersee.com/home/hotfeeds

see D-617 on the link above
Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin
Try running it with the boost wire disconnected. See if perhaps you have a bad switch and the circuit maybe closed all the time.
X2, are you using a momentary contact switch or a regular 'keep the lights on' toggle? Cole Hersee calls for momentary. Haven't seen an Amp rating for the switch though, I assume it's low and just pulling a relay.

Also did you know this: When the boost switch is pressed. It closes the Smart Battery Isolator solenoid for one minute. You'll need to be patient when running tests.

Last edited by Phantasm; 01-09-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default One other thing to think about regarding winch

Not that has anything to do with your current issue, but I noticed that most of the dual battery kits I have come across online as well as info on other sites suggest to hook the winch to the Main battery and not the Aux. I'll see if I can find the reasoning for it but seems to be a common theme as I have been researching.

Maybe someone else can chime in here...
Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check the voltage at the main battery. The voltage on the main battery needs to drop below 12.7 volts before it will be isolated. Before that, the load will be shared between both batteries (13.2 volts).
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for all the replies!

I checked the voltages with a multimeter and no matter what they were, the isolator would connect the batteries after about a minute after connecting the ground wire unless i just connected them manually right away with the momentary boost switch. With the previous isolators (85amp) the momentary switch would connect the batteries for a couple minutes and then they'd disconnect. That's a little bit longer than the minute that they are supposed to disconnect after.

Since posting this I was able to get a hold of somebody at the manufacturer Cole Hersee and he couldn't see what the problem was from what I discribed so he asked for me to send the isolator to him for diagnosis. He should be receiving it today and hopefully I will have an answer from him soon.

Quick Reply: Benchmark Dual Battery Cole Hersee Isolator Issues