Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

beefing up stock speaker enclosures...

Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beefing up stock speaker enclosures...

I am still gathering parts for my major audio overhaul in my 08' 2 door and am almost there. I just need one more amp and I am ready to tackle it. One thing that I am doing is replacing the front components with a much upgraded pair. Is there anything that I need to do to the stock enclosures to beef them up any? Also what about the sound bar? I am going to put a pair of coaxial in there and I thought that some people were doing a bunch of things to those sound bars....
Old 07-05-2013, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Default Dealing with enclosures

I have an 07 and found just changing speakers gives less than stellar results. I have used pieces of dynamat material on the inside surfaces of the dash enclosures as well as the sound bar. A 2 x4 inch square of dynamat on each side of the enclosures deadens the hollow sound caused by the plastic enclosure. Fill enclosures with fiberfill after sticking in the dynamat.. For the front dash enclosures remove the rubber plugs that the speaker wires go through. This makes the enclosure ported and helps base by a big amount.. I have a Pioneer AVH 3500 and Polk 6 1/2 coax in the sound bar and Polk 61/2 components in front.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rwillwilson
I have an 07 and found just changing speakers gives less than stellar results. I have used pieces of dynamat material on the inside surfaces of the dash enclosures as well as the sound bar. A 2 x4 inch square of dynamat on each side of the enclosures deadens the hollow sound caused by the plastic enclosure. Fill enclosures with fiberfill after sticking in the dynamat.. For the front dash enclosures remove the rubber plugs that the speaker wires go through. This makes the enclosure ported and helps base by a big amount.. I have a Pioneer AVH 3500 and Polk 6 1/2 coax in the sound bar and Polk 61/2 components in front.

Did you retain the factory amp? If not are you just running those speakers off of the new head unit? I am planning to amplify everything after the head unit with aftermarket amps.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

X2 on the polyfill.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lined the front pods with dynamat and stuffed them with polyfill. I left them sealed and my focal 6 3/4" mids give very good mid bass punch.

I basically rebuilt the soundbar. I took it out and fiberglassed the entire interior and sectioned off each speaker so they were isolated from one another and stuffed each side with polyfill. Then I filled the center section with expanding foam before I put the dome light back in. By sectioning it into to separate enclosures, stiffening the deadening the soundbar it actually sounds pretty good now.

Most audiofiles will tell you that the front stage is most important and that the rear is fill only. I agree but when the tops down, you need all the sound you can get so it might as well sound good.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
Did you retain the factory amp? If not are you just running those speakers off of the new head unit? I am planning to amplify everything after the head unit with aftermarket amps.
The Pioneer unit is ample for my needs. I had the standard radio. It has plenty of pop for HDTV radio and IPhone tunes.. DVDs are great as well. The backup camera is a welcome addition..

Quick Reply: beefing up stock speaker enclosures...