Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery storage?

Old 09-14-2007, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery storage?

There's been a lot of discussion about Optimas (Yellow vs Red), especially as it pertains to winching. I'm convinced I should get a yellow (Powerplant on order), but what to do w/OEM battery? Can I store it indefinitely, or should I sell / trade it?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

12v lead acid batteries do not store well, they need to be used/charged. I used mine for my Amateur radio station power supply at home.
If you don't have a use for 12v, then sell or trade it.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Default Cat deterrent?

Thanks, Jeff.
Maybe I'll use it to power a small electric fence around the yard to keep out the cats
Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add to the confusion of red vs. yellow...

I was at Truckfest in Atlanta a few weeks ago and had some time to talk to the Optima rep. I came at him from different angles and he said I should use the red unless I was doing allot of continuous winching and even then the red would be fine but would wear out faster, because it has less deep cycles.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have nothing but good words for yellow tops.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Default Why not Yellow?

Originally Posted by tgrt
Just to add to the confusion of red vs. yellow...

...he said I should use the red unless I was doing allot of continuous winching and even then the red would be fine but would wear out faster, because it has less deep cycles.
I don't expect to do a lot of winching, but if I'm going to upgrade the OEM, why not spend the extra $30 or 40 on the yellow? Besides price, what's the downside of yellow?

Also, what size fits the JK? I could measure it myself, but it sounds like a lot of us have Optimas already. What's the largest I can fit?
Old 09-15-2007, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottcarp
I don't expect to do a lot of winching, but if I'm going to upgrade the OEM, why not spend the extra $30 or 40 on the yellow? Besides price, what's the downside of yellow?

Also, what size fits the JK? I could measure it myself, but it sounds like a lot of us have Optimas already. What's the largest I can fit?
The day I got my JK I pulled my Red top from my old XJ and it fit right in. Its a tad smaller than the stock battery, but it fit like a glove. The JK battery in the XJ on the other hand was too big and doesn't fit in the tray too well. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Battery storage?