Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery info 2012

Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery info 2012

Well at almost 2 years old and and about 21k miles my stock battery in my 2012 JK bit the dust, wouldn't even take a jump. I left for work it fired up no problem, got to work and tried to start her up to pull into the shop and it was dead flat. Tried a jumper pack, as well as jumping it from the work truck and I got a bit more juice but not enough to even engage the starter.

Well anyway, I wanted to let everyone know the Duralast Platinum H7 battery from Auto Zone will fit in the 2012 and I'm guessing 13 as well. It's a bit bigger then the stock battery. Just remove the small plastic clip stop at the front of the battery tray and it fits. The Duralast Platinum from what I can tell is made by East Penn same as the Deka Intimidator and made in the USA. They sell rebranded versions to Orlieys and the Sears Gold AGM style as well.

800 CCA
80 AH
140 min reserve
3 year full replacement warranty

Hope this helps someone that would like a larger battery to run stereo, lights, or fridge....I wanted bigger for my ARB fridge. Without trying to run dual batteries.

They also have a direct fit size which was the H6.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I know the Deka intimidator is a good battery, so if they are the same you should be good to go.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I know the Deka intimidator is a good battery, so if they are the same you should be good to go.
That's the plan I was out in the middle of nowhere last weekend, glad it decided to quit in work parking lot.....
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimmjpr

That's the plan I was out in the middle of nowhere last weekend, glad it decided to quit in work parking lot.....
I know the feeling. Mine went out sitting in the garage...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default Battery issue

Hello there. My 2012 battery went out in May after about a year and half of use. 25000-28000 miles. Mine would not take a jump from a tow truck with six batteries. No warning, no other related issues prior to this one. I had it towed to the dealer and they replaced it for free. I droid not think they would cover the battery, but they did. No questions asked. I know you are upgrading for more power, but at least have them give you a new battery and then decide.

Originally Posted by Grimmjpr
Old 07-19-2013, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmanning30
Hello there. My 2012 battery went out in May after about a year and half of use. 25000-28000 miles. Mine would not take a jump from a tow truck with six batteries. No warning, no other related issues prior to this one. I had it towed to the dealer and they replaced it for free. I droid not think they would cover the battery, but they did. No questions asked. I know you are upgrading for more power, but at least have them give you a new battery and then decide.
Thanks for the info, I figured I may have been able to get it covered under warranty, but I really didn't want to replace it with another battery that would probably fail the same way possibly leaving me stranded in the desert. I think the upgraded battery will work better for the ARB fridge as well as the IPF lights, and other electronic stuff. I found it really weird it failed so totally without warning, and without even providing enough juice when jumped.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Had battery on my 2012 crap out on me out in BFE also. Started fine, drove in about 100 yards, got out and when I tried to restart 2 minutes later - nothing but a click. It wouldn't take a jump at all, so thinking it was a starter, tried tapping on it and still nothing.

Mine's a stick, so we push started it. It started, but stayed revved about 2000 RPM and the throttle by wire light started flashing on the dash, and I had no throttle control at all. Ended up having to have a buddy come trailer me home. Put a group H7 Walmart Everlast MAXX in it (all I could find within 40 miles) and it solved the issue.

What stinks is that when the batteries go like this:
1. No warning whatsoever
2. Can't jump it
3. Can't push start it
4. So stranded

While I like new technology, there's something to be said for my son's 1975 Toyota FJ40 - we've broken nearly everything you can on the trail and it's never left us stranded - we can always McGyver it in some way to get off the trail.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

A friend's '12 died after a night of camping on Ozark Overland Trail. We had to connect a second good Jeep to get it to crank--one was insufficient. Once started, we headed out to Russelville for new battery. He said during drive his dash was lit like a Christmas tree.

Interestingly, later on during trip my starter battery died. Pushed boost button to connect my aux battery into the circuit, jumped into seat and Jeep started right up. Dual batteries rock, but definitely get higher quality batteries.

Quick Reply: Battery info 2012