Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery drain issue : getting started

Old 10-12-2013, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain issue : getting started

I think I have an electrical issue with my 2008 JK X (stock). I don't have a lot of expertise in this area, and would appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction to try and diagnose the issue on my own before calling in the pros.

On trying to start it after sitting in a parking lot for 1.5 hours a couple of days ago, the battery was dead. ...a short time for the battery to die, without having seen any issue until then.

The Jeep started with a jump, and since it was the original battery at almost 6 years old, I guessed that the battery had given up the ghost.

Put a new battery in. Connected the positive. As soon as I touch the negative to the battery post, I get a sizzle and a small wisp of smoke at the negative terminal, and I immediately disconnected it.

I am not, FWIW, much of a car guy. I can change a battery, but running into a hiccup like this throws me. I called up Sears and asked...is the battery sizzle normal, such as some coating cooking off on initial contact. No...that's not it. It sounds like a something is draining the battery.

Searching a bit online, what I have found so far seems to agree.

Any suggestions on how to track down the issue? Or write-ups posted by someone who has already gone through this?

Worst case...do I risk damage either to the Jeep or the new battery if I connect it long enough to start the Jeep and drive somewhere for repair?
Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Start with has anything been changed on your Jeep recently? New stereo, winch, lights?

I had a similar issue when I installed my winch. Battery started to drain. I disconnected it from the electrical. When I did I found the ground was not tight. I left the winch disconnected for a couple weeks to confirm it was the issue. Reconnected it and made sure everything was tight. No more issue for about 6 months now.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default No changes

I have made no changes. It is completely stock, with no add-ons.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Battery drain issue : getting started