Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery drain

Old 02-25-2020, 10:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain

I have a problem with the car electricity that drains my battery if not driven within 12 hours

Old 02-26-2020, 07:08 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Hello Ahmed, a troubleshooting method is to connect an ammeter in series with battery negative and the battery terminal with the key OFF. Wait 3-5 minutes and the current should eventually go below 35ma unless electrical items have been added (alarm, radio, etc) that draw current with the key OFF. If the current stays high, start isolating the problem circuit by disconnecting anything non-stock first, then pull fuses one at a time.

Stay in touch,
The following users liked this post:
EHarris (11-23-2021)
Old 02-27-2020, 12:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Hello Ahmed, a troubleshooting method is to connect an ammeter in series with battery negative and the battery terminal with the key OFF. Wait 3-5 minutes and the current should eventually go below 35ma unless electrical items have been added (alarm, radio, etc) that draw current with the key OFF. If the current stays high, start isolating the problem circuit by disconnecting anything non-stock first, then pull fuses one at a time.

Stay in touch,
Hi T, i've done this practice already with nothing changed the high reading of the abometer unless the electrician tried putting another whole power fuses box
as the previously attached pic the faded red lines stays even when the car is off
Old 02-27-2020, 10:47 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

First guess is that the electronic component that turns off the dash instrument cluster displays is leaking current. Second guess is that some electrical device that was added is back-feeding the instrument cluster when the key is off. If there are any non-stock wiring or devices (especially anything related to the instrument cluster), try disconnecting and re-check the symptoms. My experience is about 80% of problems like this have turned out to be aftermarket installation related.

Troubleshooting this may require a good tech with a factory manual + wiring diagrams. However, here's an idea: Try to locate and remove the fuse(s) that feed the dash (the dash instrument cluster should not light up with key on), then see if the symptoms (high key off current and red lines on dash) go away. If the lines on the dash are still there after removing the relevant fuse(s), that would likely point to some (added) device back-feeding the instrument cluster.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Ahmed (or anyone that's had this issue), did you ever discover the source of this problem?? I am experiencing the exact same problem in my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (2-door). All of the electrical components/accessories/radio on my Jeep are stock. I have no after market electrical accessories on my Jeep.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery (both terminals) and isolate them from the battery using a small piece of rubber or cardboard. Short the (+) and (-) together by clamping or using a wire and clamp on each for about 30 minutes. Then reconnect and see if it made a difference. What this does is reset the entire ECU and make it reload the embedded programming. It will then go through a relearn on the engine and (if you have it) the automatic transmission.
The following users liked this post:
EHarris (11-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Battery drain