Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Battery crapped out..

Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow

Glad I read this thread.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

I'm an EE too and I really enjoyed that write-up! I've actually been running a yellow top in my YJ for about 5 years now and it still works fine. To support your theory, I notice the voltmeter sticks right at about 14, so maybe that's why I haven't had any problems with it. It's a half duty Jeep so it will sit for a week or two without running but it still always cranks.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did my homework on this and went with the Diehard Platinum. Better warranty, better cranking power and very well built.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thanks

I enjoyed reading this
Old 08-14-2010, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up RednRoll -- Please Your Additional Info

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The engineer in myself got the best of me.

I actually, just wanted to buy a new battery, and I like to read user reviews before I purchase, then stumbled across a few forum posts with the Optima, then continued to Google search, and became interested in trying to find out what was going on with the Optimas.....where the Sherlock Holmes in me, just took over.

I've actually updated some other stuff at that Tundra Solutions forum, since no one really seemed interested in this over here....it could be because I hi-jacked this thread unintentionally and it's really not titled properly.

From what you described, if my analysis is right, then that would certainly explain the problem you had with the optima compared to the basic OEM battery.
Hey I'm interested! Please post the additional info you have posted in the Tundra forums.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not an engineer, but I'm glad I read this thread!! It explains alot.

Have you had any feedback from the Optima "publicist damage control" guy??
Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Pylot7
I did my homework on this and went with the Diehard Platinum. Better warranty, better cranking power and very well built.

I have owned several Odyssey batteries and they have been great and I just purchased the Diehard Platinum PM-2. The salesman said they have had very good feedback on the battery, it also has 5 stars on Sears website.

Quick Reply: Battery crapped out..