Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Backup Lights

Old 03-28-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Lights

The view out the back (tinted) window on my '09 UL Rubi through the rear view mirror at night is a bit on the dim side. I need more light. I was wanting to avoid mounting anything below the bumper, and above as well. Has anyone mounted a pair of rear-facing lights on the spare tire mount, pointed through the holes in the wheel ? Hmmm. Looks a bit cheesy in writing, but I'll ask anyway.

Sam
Old 03-28-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Junkie

Check this out...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/better-back-up-lamp-install-20249/
Old 03-28-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Jedi

I am going with the LoD rear bumper with lights.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get 50 watt halogen back up bulbs that will replace the stockers.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Here is my light. PM me for more information.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

These are mine they are mounted in the bumper. These are 55 watt and work good for me as i had the same problem you have. The picture is not that good but they really look nice after I got done with it.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

What will I encounter when I drill into the bumper? How deep in plastic before you come to metal?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
You can get 50 watt halogen back up bulbs that will replace the stockers.
Redneck, could you provide more details (part number, etc)? I've got the Shrockworks rear bumper on order, so that will be my "permanent" fix, but I probably won't see that until somewhere near the end of the year. LOL.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default Backup Lights

Okay... Here is what I ended up doing. I bought a pair of inexpensive round fog lights from an 'old, popular mail order auto parts store', used a hole saw to drill a couple of 2.5 inch holes into the bumper, and mounted the lights directly to the plastic part of the bumper. Here are a couple of pics....

I used the harness that came with them to wire the lights together, and brought the wiring up behind the drivers side tail light. Ground wire to frame. The switch wire is also run from the dash to the drivers side tail light . The only thing I am missing so far is the Power. I was hoping to get some advice on that.

I want to run a wire from the battery, or the power terminal in the fuse box, to the rear of the vehicle. I have 8 gauge wire for this, but I am not sure how best to route it to the rear, probably passanger, tail lamp area. I want to put a power distribution block/fuse panel there for three circuits.
1> The new back-up lamps (55w+55w)
2> An 800 Watt power inverter that I plan on putting just forward of the factory sub-woofer box.
3> a 12V power outlet that I plan on mounting in the top of the sub-woofer box.

I was thinking I could mount a small fuse block behind the passenger side tail light to split my power. They sell a small one at Autozone, but it has no cover. You think that would be okay for that location? Also, is my 8 gauge wire heavy enough for this application, and should I fuse the main line itself near the battery?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 PM
mt3
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Rock Sam

I used the harness that came with them to wire the lights together, and brought the wiring up behind the drivers side tail light. Ground wire to frame. The switch wire is also run from the dash to the drivers side tail light . The only thing I am missing so far is the Power. I was hoping to get some advice on that.

I want to run a wire from the battery, or the power terminal in the fuse box, to the rear of the vehicle. I have 8 gauge wire for this, but I am not sure how best to route it to the rear, probably passanger, tail lamp area. I want to put a power distribution block/fuse panel there for three circuits.
1> The new back-up lamps (55w+55w)
2> An 800 Watt power inverter that I plan on putting just forward of the factory sub-woofer box.
3> a 12V power outlet that I plan on mounting in the top of the sub-woofer box.

I was thinking I could mount a small fuse block behind the passenger side tail light to split my power. They sell a small one at Autozone, but it has no cover. You think that would be okay for that location? Also, is my 8 gauge wire heavy enough for this application, and should I fuse the main line itself near the battery?

why not wire to pre-existing back up lights?

Quick Reply: Backup Lights