Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Backup Light Wiring

Old 04-08-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Backup Light Wiring

I have an LOD bumper on the way and I'll need to wire up the 55w lights that I ordered with it. I desire to have them switched manually or from the reverse lights. I plan on ordering two 5-pin relays, 1A fuse for switching circuit, 20A fuse for power, and a switch to match my existing for the front lights. One relay would control power based on switch position. The other would be controlled by the backup light circuit.

Where can I tie into the backup power near the dash?

I think the simplest wiring would have the relays up front in the dash or under the hood. Should I run the power under the vehicle or run it through the interior from the dash and down along the passenger side?

Any problems with this configuration?

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown626
I have an LOD bumper on the way and I'll need to wire up the 55w lights that I ordered with it. I desire to have them switched manually or from the reverse lights. I plan on ordering two 5-pin relays, 1A fuse for switching circuit, 20A fuse for power, and a switch to match my existing for the front lights. One relay would control power based on switch position. The other would be controlled by the backup light circuit.

Where can I tie into the backup power near the dash?

I think the simplest wiring would have the relays up front in the dash or under the hood. Should I run the power under the vehicle or run it through the interior from the dash and down along the passenger side?

Any problems with this configuration?

Thanks!
i did a search for backup light wiring and found a step by step instructional for the LOD bumper...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...p+light+wiring
Old 04-08-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
i did a search for backup light wiring and found a step by step instructional for the LOD bumper...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...p+light+wiring
I looked at that one. It didn't show the location of the backup wire. I don't find a 3-position switch that matches my setup and my needs are a bit different. Thank you though.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown626
I looked at that one. It didn't show the location of the backup wire. I don't find a 3-position switch that matches my setup and my needs are a bit different. Thank you though.
Here is the diagram for using a Single Pole switch

Install the wiring inside the cab. You can follow the OEM harness along the door jamb all the way to the rear of the Jeep. You can pick up the reverse circuit @ the driver side foot well ( if you can find it ) or at the fixture it self.

Quick Reply: Backup Light Wiring