Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Backup camera wiring question

Old 06-08-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup camera wiring question

I have looked through as many backup camera posts as I can, but I still have some remaining questions. I am still trying to decide whether I want the camera to run when I turn the lights on or when I put it into reverse. The camera is one that mounts around the license plate so I am only running the wires to the tail lights. For the reverse only option there is a wire that is white with a green stripe for the hot, but there are two blacks. Which one is the negative to tie into?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-07 18.20.15.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	558381

For the Option to tie into the lights, which one is the appropriate hot wire? the white with yellow or the white with purple?

Name:	2014-06-07 18.19.52.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	558383

I am primarily interested in these two wiring points because they are right there next to the license plate. I am open to other places to tie in if they are easy to get to. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Do you really want your rear camera to display every time you turn your lights on? I would do it when you put the vehicle in reverse, that makes the most sense to me.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The reason I want it to come on when I turn on my lights is because I can't see out the back window. I am essentially trying to create a rear view mirror (display fits over the mirror) with the camera. I am about 90% towards it coming on with the lights so I can get the wife off of my back about the visibility. I don't have the camera yet which may sway me one way or another, which is why I am asking about both options. Thanks.

Last edited by JDaPP; 06-10-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

So you will connect the camera to a dedicated display?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, the display I ordered looks like this:

Name:	416V78ZpQEL.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	558883

In theory it should be similar to looking in the mirror. If I wire it to just reverse lights, display turns off when not used. Other advantage of wiring to lights is that I can use it to check on my trailer. Will really be a decision I make once I get the camera which is why I want to be prepared for either contingency.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you cant see out the rear because of the rear headrests, Take them off. Having the rear view camera monitor on when lights are on may be very distracting. Fix you rear view mirrors to see behind you. As far as seeing your trailer, is that for backing up to get it on the hitch ball? If so, use a driveway marker as a centering/aiming point. As far as identifying the correct wires in the rear, use a meter to see what's hot. The body is ground and should work just fine for any negative connections. Again a meter (or test light) will tell. I connected mine to the left rear backup lamp circuit in the lamp housing. Good luck
Old 06-11-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Headrests are down, doesn't really help, issue is tire mainly. For the trailer, it is more just to check on it occasionally. I have had enough weird things (straps breaking, things dragging, etc) that I just like checking on it occasionally. Check on the meter, would still like verification of the light wires if someone knows just to give me a warm fuzzy. Appreciate the info on the backup lamp circuit, I really appreciate it.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Here's what I found for wire colors on my 2010 JKUS when adding a spare mounted 3rd brake light and backup camera. The license plate light wires are for the tail lights:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...-light-272742/
Old 06-12-2014, 03:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is exactly what I needed. Thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply: Backup camera wiring question