Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Backup Camera

Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 PM
PGT
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! So much so, I think I'll order a spare cap.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attachment 393159

Nice work, looks familiar.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by lobelsteve
Brief install: Using Crimestopper SV6704 camera and mounted in spare tire centercap.

Wires connect inside of spare tire carrier and run in through factory grommet in rear door. Need to remove both plastic panels on inside of door to snake alongside factory wires to inside of vehicle. I ran the wires behind the sub (2 Torx to loosen and slide under the enclosure. I then ran it up under the carpet in the center of the vehicle and under passenger seat. Followed directions in K6861157.PDF for how to take dash apart. Lockpick plugs into existing harness and crimp on connectors for rear camera ground and reverse power. Video is RCA jack. I soldered connections from camera to wires running through jeep to behind radio. I used electrical tape over the RCA jacks to keep them snugged. The camera cam with the bit to drill the hole in the centercap. Easy work.

Camera centered in plastic cap.

After the door panel snapped back on. I wrapped the wires in wire coil plastic for protection then pulled them up into the cutout on the enclosure before snugging down the Torx bolts in the floor.

Rear camera works fine.
Any pics of the camera view on screen?
Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

I recently installed an RER with Lockpick V.2 and purchased two cameras from Amazon. The cameras were only $12 each!

Waterproof Car Backup Camera

Love the picture quailty and simplicity to install.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Default Just wondering.............

Originally Posted by dave7200
I thought I'd post this again in case it can help anyone looking for a backup camera. I have a 2012 JK with the touch screen in it. I had the Jeep dealership order the backup camera for a Grand Cherokee and they installed it for me. It works perfect!! Thats my tire in the top of the image.

Attachment 362173Attachment 362174
Hi, What did the dealership charge you for the back-up camera and install? I really want one and I just got the 430N upgrade for my 2013 Sport. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default Front AND Back Cameras?

I have the stock radio in my new JK.
After having my nose way up in the air and not knowing which way the trail went on the other side, I figured a front camera would be a pretty valuable tool.
Since the spare tire takes up most of the rearview mirror, a backup camera would be nice as well.

What would I need in order to view the two camera inputs (not at the same time of course)?
I saw that Kenwood makes a nice receiver that accepts camera inputs, but is probably a lot more stereo than I need.

Also, what cameras are available out there for the front, or would you just take a rear camera and mount it on the front?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
Old 06-05-2013, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Is there anything else you have to do to the radio (720) touch screen with Nav. To make back up monitor come on when you put it in Rev. ????
Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Default 2 in the rearview

Originally Posted by Sarge77
I have the stock radio in my new JK.
After having my nose way up in the air and not knowing which way the trail went on the other side, I figured a front camera would be a pretty valuable tool.
Since the spare tire takes up most of the rearview mirror, a backup camera would be nice as well.

What would I need in order to view the two camera inputs (not at the same time of course)?
I saw that Kenwood makes a nice receiver that accepts camera inputs, but is probably a lot more stereo than I need.

Also, what cameras are available out there for the front, or would you just take a rear camera and mount it on the front?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
I went with a replacement mirror/display. It has 2 inputs. The 2nd input is for the backup cam. It comes on automatically when the backup camera (powered off backup lights) comes on. The first input could be used for a front camera or a dash cam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130510_173817_045.jpg
Views:	1044
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	465221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130510_174012_834.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	465222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130510_180117_386.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	465223  
Old 09-18-2013, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dave7200
I thought I'd post this again in case it can help anyone looking for a backup camera. I have a 2012 JK with the touch screen in it. I had the Jeep dealership order the backup camera for a Grand Cherokee and they installed it for me. It works perfect!! Thats my tire in the top of the image.

Attachment 362173Attachment 362174

I bought the backup camera. The dealership would not install it though. So I took it to a local audio shop, but they are having problems with the wiring. Wonder if you can post a picture of the wiring under the back?
Old 09-18-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=waynesmarine;3681646]I bought the backup camera. The dealership would not install it though. So I took it to a local audio shop, but they are having problems with the wiring. Wonder if you can post a picture of the wiring under the back?[/QUOTE

The back up cameras are easy to wire. There is a ground, and 12v positive, plus the video cable. I used a Coastaltech lockpick and a cheap ebay backup camera on my RER radio, easy install.

MYGIG LOCKPICK

I ran a 12v ground and positive plus the video cable from the head unit/ lockpick to the back of the jeep, and plugged it in. It is that easy. I am not sure why the audio shop is having a problem.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera