Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Back up camera concern

Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee

You may be right. 2011 - 2012 may be different

My Jeep is a 2010 Unlimited Sahara. The picture is the passenger (right) side tail light assembly. The bottom (where the backup light is) is on the right in the picture. As you can see, the wire going to the right is white with a green stripe. The same part number bulb is used for both the tail/brake and for the backup. On the backup both filaments are wired to ground (2 black wires on the right) so they both light giving a brighter reverse light.

I connected my back up camera power (wht/grn) and ground (blk) on the assembly instead of the harness because it's cheaper to replace the assembly than the harness if I screw it up.

I read somewhere that when the lights and brake are off, the ground floats. I'm not sure how that affects the backup light problem you are having but if you used the wires going directly to the bulb it should solve the problem (bulb lit, camera powered).
Ok I got it to work for good this time; I just completely unhooked all the wires and reconnected everything, but when I hooked it back up I pulled the wires through the grommet on the drivers side and pulled out the taillight, then connected it directly to the wires right behind the reverse bulb. The pos + wire WAS the white w/green stripe (2012) and then I grounded it to the ground on the reverse light assembly. Thx everyone for your help and inputs, trial and error always works!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in installing a back up camera into my Jeep. What parts do you guys suggest? Will it work with a regular MyGig or do I need a lock pick type set up?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12SilveRR_Bullet: Glad you got it working!

VIN:
Some people have hooked up a camera directly to their Mygig's then had them flashed by a dealer to activate the camera.
I used the Navtool (a bit spendy) with my 430N, I have a 6 speed manual so lockpick doesn't work for mine. The Navtool works perfect and was completely plug and play it also comes with the RCA cables for hooking up the backup camera, a second camera or whatever you desire and outputs for external monitors. The Navtool's video in motion and address input in motion features are turned on with one of factroy button behind the steering wheel so the GPS speed on the Mygig still works unti you activate the Navtool's bypass. This was something that others had mentioned they missed with their Locpicks. Recessed camera off ebay for $11.95 works great and looks like a factory install in the bumper.

Quick Reply: Back up camera concern