Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Back up camera concern

Old 04-30-2013, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back up camera concern

Ok I hooked up my back up camera tonight and everything seems to be working great...except there is something weird going on when I put it in reverse and let off the brakes.

When I place my JKU in reverse the DVD screen changes and shows whats behind me, but when I left completely off the brakes in reverse the screen goes black. When I place my foot slightly back on the brakes the screen comes back on and shows everything in reverse. I tapped the positive wire from the camera to the white w/ green stripe wire and grounded the other side. Does anyone have any ideas what this could be?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

You tapped into the brake light wire instead of the reverse light
Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive
You tapped into the brake light wire instead of the reverse light
I looked it up and the white wire w/green stripe was the positive side of the reverse light on a 2012. You say I tapped into the wrong wire, would you happen to know the correct wire color I should of tapped into?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

The backup light positive wire is the white/grey stripe. Just hooked up a backup camera in my 2011 a couple weeks ago, should be the same colour for your 2012.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 AM
JK Freak

Default Back it up

I'm pretty sure the white with green stripe is the reverse light wire too. (right side in picture)

Where did you ground the negative? I grounded mine on the black wire at the tail light. I remember reading about others seeing weird goings on with the tail light circuit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130423_193440_397.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	453095  
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

It was definitely the white with grey stripe in my 2011, it can be found in a bundle of wires on the passenger side above the wheel well. Test it with a 12 volt test light or volt meter to confirm.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this hook up to the factory 430n and turn on auto with reverse?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-01-2013, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Default I may be crazy

Originally Posted by Bears-JK
It was definitely the white with grey stripe in my 2011, it can be found in a bundle of wires on the passenger side above the wheel well. Test it with a 12 volt test light or volt meter to confirm.
You may be right. 2011 - 2012 may be different

My Jeep is a 2010 Unlimited Sahara. The picture is the passenger (right) side tail light assembly. The bottom (where the backup light is) is on the right in the picture. As you can see, the wire going to the right is white with a green stripe. The same part number bulb is used for both the tail/brake and for the backup. On the backup both filaments are wired to ground (2 black wires on the right) so they both light giving a brighter reverse light.

I connected my back up camera power (wht/grn) and ground (blk) on the assembly instead of the harness because it's cheaper to replace the assembly than the harness if I screw it up.

I read somewhere that when the lights and brake are off, the ground floats. I'm not sure how that affects the backup light problem you are having but if you used the wires going directly to the bulb it should solve the problem (bulb lit, camera powered).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130423_193440_397.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	453142  
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember Meters are your friend. Rather than doubt just unplug from light assy , put key in , turn on ignition , put in reverse , black lead to ground and probe the plug until you get 12+. ... done
Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Freak

Default Why simplify?

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Remember Meters are your friend. Rather than doubt just unplug from light assy , put key in , turn on ignition , put in reverse , black lead to ground and probe the plug until you get 12+. ... done
What's the fun in taking readings when guessing is so entertaining?

One more consideration... CAN bus (or maybe that's cannabis?) controls everything. If you filter/don't filter that digital communication traveling over your wiring, weird things can happen. If you wire straight across the backup bulb and the bulb comes on you can bet you have 12 volts.

(Although you might lose that bet!)

Quick Reply: Back up camera concern