Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Back Light Issue

Old 10-03-2022, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Back Light Issue

We recently purchased a 2011 Jeep 4 Door Wrangler. When purchased it had LED tail and head lights. Recently out of no where the right tail light would go out which along with these 3 lights BRAKE, ABS, and The traction with the car behind it, would go on and off the panel. We took to a Jeep Service center and was told that the 3 lights would be corrected by this piece that needed to be fixed due to it wasn't working, that had to be ordered and we are waiting on that. However they said that the back light was due to the LED tail lights they had seen caused shorts and would go in and out and gave us the factory number of taillights to order to replace them and that should fix the problem. We changed them out yesterday however when I was driving this morning the right tail light went out again. The left side never goes out just the right. Can anyone help? do you think it has something to do with those light on the dashboard we are waiting to fix? Are the LED head lights a problem to causing a short? However those work fine and have never went out. These 3 lights don't

come on when the light goes out or vice versa. So just reaching to try to figure out how to fix this or where to begin. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2022, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Aftermarket LED lights are not very good for the electronics that are on these Jeeps unless they were designed for it. If you had access to WiTech software you can actually go right in to the operating code and make changes to accept these extras then it would be ok to use them if you knew what the current draw was. I doubt if they are shorting out but most likely the TIPM is not seeing the current draw. There are the reasons why I run bulb type tail lights. I do have Chinese LED headlights that have worked flawlessly now for 3 years but they have load resistors and anti-flicker devices built in and they put out good light range. If you can go back to all bulbs and clear the codes then plug in the headlights - if good - plug the tailights back in and see what happens. I remeber when I had my 43ft coach I stopped soomewhere in AZ and went into a Walmart and got 1159 replacement flasher bulbs and they were fantastic. Bright through the lens even on a sunny day. Wish I had bought 20 of them. Backa$$ Canada does not have them at all.

Quick Reply: Back Light Issue