Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Axle Lock/Sway bar switch not doing anything.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Axle Lock/Sway bar switch not doing anything.

2014 Rubicon Unlimited 6 speed manual.

Pressing the axle lock/sway bar disconnect buttons does nothing. Hooked up my Superchips flashpaq and was able to get the axles to lock so I know they are working. Anyone know how to test the switch or have any other recommendations on what it could be.

I recently replaced my battery if it has anything to do with that.

Thanks!

Update: Problem ended up being the actual sway bar/axle lock switch on the dash.

Last edited by ALeeL; 10-06-2022 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

That sway bar disconnect harness is the source of a lot of issues. I would probably disconnect that from the sway bar and hit it with a good electrical cleaner to start with. These sway bars often crap out and people convert em to a manual sway bar with the Evo knob, so it could be an electrical connection or actually the sway bar itself.
The following users liked this post:
ALeeL (09-19-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Is the jeep new to you? Were you in 4 Lo? the switches only work in 4 Lo. Pull the switch panel and make sure the connector is on it Normally the symptoms of the swaybar electronics are more severe (swaybar light flashing or entire cluster freaking out).
ALeeL (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeff Pillsworth
Is the jeep new to you? Were you in 4 Lo? the switches only work in 4 Lo. Pull the switch panel and make sure the connector is on it Normally the symptoms of the swaybar electronics are more severe (swaybar light flashing or entire cluster freaking out).
I have the Jeep for about two years, but I have had other Jeeps before this. I was in 4-Lo, and I did pull the switch from the dash, Didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I am going to run the the whole harness this weekend to see what I can find.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had to clean mine out twice (the actual mechanism) as it is not sealed well at all. After the last time, I sealed the heck out of it and have had no issues since.
ALeeL (10-06-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 2015 mine has been a constant source of issues with similar behavior you describe. I had to take it apart twice and reseal and spray with the electical cleaner on the connection box. Going to replace soon as a major pain.
ALeeL (10-06-2022)
Old 10-06-2022, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

Problem fixed. Ended up being the sway bar/axle lock switch on the dash. Bought a new one for about $70 delivered and everything worked as it should after install.

Quick Reply: Axle Lock/Sway bar switch not doing anything.