Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

AVIC-Z1 install

Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Egmont---

Which wire is the dimming wire in the factory harness?

Also, can you please post which wires are what on the factory harness? (acc, power, dimming, etc)

I have searched for this, but can't find it.

Nice install, BTW.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did not use the dimmer wire, found no need for it. I set the brightness once manually, works great day or night and switch from day to night mode with touch of an icon.

For the power and acc, I spliced into the two power outlets and for the backup, the wire is quit long so I spliced it into the backup light in the back.

As far as the VSS is concerned, I guess you saw the pictures. I had help from a professional, he did the speaker wires and by the way, it works great and never regretted the purchase.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Egmont
I did not use the dimmer wire, found no need for it. I set the brightness once manually, works great day or night and switch from day to night mode with touch of an icon.

For the power and acc, I spliced into the two power outlets and for the backup, the wire is quit long so I spliced it into the backup light in the back.

As far as the VSS is concerned, I guess you saw the pictures. I had help from a professional, he did the speaker wires and by the way, it works great and never regretted the purchase.
So is the dvd player working? I have the D310 and I'm using the TR7 but I heard the TR7 doesn't work on the Z1. If it does how did you get around it? My friend installed a Z1 on his Aspen but the dvd player shuts off "pix off for your safety" crap when he goes over 10mph.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, my DVD player is working. What you describing is the safety feature kicking in.

There is a work around link on

http://avic411.com/forum/index.php?s...ab7b863f720bd9

Do a search on by-pass.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

is the Gps antenna mounted on the unit below the cover or did u put it on the top of teh dashboard
Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Below the cover, on top of the radio held in place by the magnet on the antenna.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok thanks, its works well i assume?
Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Egmont,

I know that you had a pro wire the speakers, but do you know if he used a crossover on the front woofers and tweeters? If not, did he just wire both together? And how does it sound?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

If the gps has a magnet on it does it affect the compass since its right next to it?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woods
Egmont,

I know that you had a pro wire the speakers, but do you know if he used a crossover on the front woofers and tweeters? If not, did he just wire both together? And how does it sound?

Thanks
To tell you the truth, I have no idea, I am not an audiophile, but it sound great, better then the factory installed system in my former Suburban.

Originally Posted by RonFDNY77
If the gps has a magnet on it does it affect the compass since its right next to it?

No effect whats so ever.

Quick Reply: AVIC-Z1 install