Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Auxiliary Back-Up Lighting

Old 12-21-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowJK
You can just use one relay.
Ya, Like this. \/ \/ \/

I make my living working with control systems. I know that there are a bunch of other ways to do this. I only promote these 2.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Ya, Like this. \/ \/ \/

I make my living working with control systems. I know that there are a bunch of other ways to do this. I only promote these 2.
So... what are the details on the diode?? What size.. assuming they come in sizes.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by omarf4
Best spot for me was above the third brake light.... I can swing away as needed while camping...... pics with full sun light out since july and they've held up nice.... just your standard $39 pilot lights from auto z!Attachment 252683Attachment 252684
Interesting...I kinda like this idea. Any light spill back into the Jeep when backing up?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Ya, Like this. \/ \/ \/

I wasn't saying you were wrong or anything of that nature, sorry if you took it that way.

I was going to say use relay tap in to the reverse light with a diode near the 86 pin. and also come off that pin as well (between the diode and pin it self ) to a toggle switch then to 12volt source.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Part # for the PIAA back up lamps is 1540. Has everything u need to install, don't have to buy extra diodes or blinked fluid. Just saying there is a easy way to do this. Might be a little more $$$ but worth it to me.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you tap into the reverse light circuit? Wire color and location?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MikekiM
So... what are the details on the diode?? What size.. assuming they come in sizes.
Yes there are many sizes. I believe that anything above 1 amp will be acceptable. Some of thes things are really small. So going larger is fine.

Originally Posted by SlowJK
I wasn't saying you were wrong or anything of that nature, sorry if you took it that way.

I was going to say use relay tap in to the reverse light with a diode near the 86 pin. and also come off that pin as well (between the diode and pin it self ) to a toggle switch then to 12volt source.
I took no personal offense to what you were say. But ( profesionaly speeking ) I am offended when someone recommends intentionally back-feeding a circuit. And relying on the diode to prevent the current from getting back to the electronics. As you can see in my drawings, I use the diode as a secondary line of defense. No a primary line of defense.

Originally Posted by Charlie Mike
Where did you tap into the reverse light circuit? Wire color and location?
I tapped this circuit @ the driver side tail light because it was easier to find. And you will be passing the new circuits through this area anyway ( I followed the OEM circuits to the bumper ). You could pick up this circuit at the drivers footwell also. Sorry I do not remember the color.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

I tapped into the reverse light circuit behind each tail light. Black = ground. White w/gray or green marker was energized in reverse.
Other Jeeps may be different.....check with your test meter to be certain
Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Sweet.. I've been looking for a set to supplement the stock reverse lights... I already changed to LED's but that did very little.

One change I would like to make is to be able to switch them on both automatically with the stock reverse lights as well as manually for times I need to work behind the truck..
I have my lod bumper lights done that way. They come on with reverse and my rugged ridge a pillar switch pod has a switch for em. All of my reverse lights come on tho...from taillights and aux lights on the switch
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omarf4
Pop the 4 screws holding your taillight and pull assembly out (above license plate). Tap into the white wire ( check it in reverse with ebrake and wheel chocks on) that becomes active when you put gear in reverse.
Sweet! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Back-Up Lighting