Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aux switch still illuminated when ignition is off? PLZ help

Old 10-08-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux switch still illuminated when ignition is off? PLZ help

First of all this is my first post. Im a new owner of a 2011 Wrangler Rubicon 2D. I love it.

Decided to install the KC windshield mounted 5'' lights. So I bought the kit from Quadratec that comes with the mounting brackets, some deal they got goin on and the lights had good reviews so why not. I also bought the A-pilliar switch made by Rugged Ridge, from Quadratec with 4 green led switches. (Although I have no use for 4 switches at this point in time, I wanted the install to cosmetically look clean and professional. Although I am no professional, and no electrician.

So I install the lights and did a clean install, I thought I understood the wiring directions but let me try and explain my problem, as I said before im no electrician. So from the switch there are three wires; a brown ground, a green load, and a white supply wire. I tested the lights before securing them and they worked, so i figured I had good grounds, and everything was wiring correctly. After completion I noticed the switch stayed illuminated even when the ignition was off. The green load wire goes to a relay and then goes to lights/ground/and a wire to the battery. The white supply wire goes to a fuse, then depending on how you want your lights to work--to Hi beam/low beam/ or battery. I want full control of when I want my lights to come on, so I didnt want the mount them to the high/low beams and I wired the white wire directly to the battery. When this white wire is connected to the battery I presume it provides constant power to the switches, I thought the power to the switches would be cut out when the ignition was off becasue there was a fuse and a relay in the circuit?

Some advice a mechanic at work (but by no means an electrician) he told me to drill a hole in my fuse box and tap into a fuse that shuts on/off with the ignition, but I dont want to destroy the integrity of my fuse box for 100$ fog lights. Especially since I do off road the jeep and pressure wash the engine bay when it gets dirty this dosent seem like the fix im looking for. Also if I did that I don't know which sized fuse would be sufficient? Also if I tap into my high or low beams, I dont want to steal power from them as this seems counter productive to the point of lighting, if that would happen at all, idk.

So I called the customer service line at KC and he said well the Ruggeded ridge switch was broke, use the cheap KC switch. So I tried all four rugged ridge switches and they all four acted the same.. They functioned the lights on off properly but stayed illuminated when ignition was off.

For now I have disconnected the white wire and all power is off from the lights and switch illumination. Any addidtional advice on how to wire them would be appreciated, Im thinkin all I need is a relay and then leave that white wire connected to the battery, but im not sure.

Please help!

EDIT I uploaded a pic of the schematics
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1012.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	503522

Last edited by rrt243; 10-08-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

So out of 36 People whove viewed this thread noone can help? Kinda hard to believe..but thanks for the replies guys im not waving to anyone for a week.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

You could tap it into and accessory power wire in your jeep somewhere as an alternative.as long as it has an inline fuse you'll be fine(just to be safe). I have done the fuse box but I didnt drill a hole. I just cut a little grove into the side where the lid seals on and put a little bit of hot glue to seal uner the wire and I havent had any problems and I also wash my engine bay regularly as well as off roading/mudding :P
Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the LED is constantly on it sounds like you have the white supply wire and green load wires reversed on the switch. Try taking both wires off and placing the white wire on the center terminal and turning on the switch. The LED should only come on when the switch is turned on. Here is a link you might check out as well:

CHERRY KM Series Waterproof Rocker Switch

Cherry is the manufacturer for Rugged Ridge switches.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Pendergast (12-22-2019)
Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

To help you we are assuming here , not knowing what the switch you're using ,
is it suppose to be lit all the time OR just when you turn on the lights ?
well i spose that doesn't matter.

For keyed power to switch (white) i went to the seg. lighter .
to figure what fuse size -watts / volts = amps ---- 110watts (2- 55wt bulbs) / 12v = 9.1 amps .
Old 10-09-2013, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Geeps
If the LED is constantly on it sounds like you have the white supply wire and green load wires reversed on the switch. Try taking both wires off and placing the white wire on the center terminal and turning on the switch. The LED should only come on when the switch is turned on. Here is a link you might check out as well:

CHERRY KM Series Waterproof Rocker Switch

Cherry is the manufacturer for Rugged Ridge switches.

Thank you Geeps, I didnt think of that. Im going to be out of town for a couple days with work but when I get back I will look into reversing them and see what happens and let you know.

If that dosent work I thought about replacing the switch with a 3 way switch..That would have to cut the power to leds?? Id think...
Old 10-09-2013, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

Are you sure you're on the right wire drawing the power? Maybe you grabbed the wrong one. If you are on the wrong wire it will draw power directly off the battery
Old 10-12-2013, 12:00 PM
JK Freak

Had the same problem with aftermarket fogs. If the power wire is coming directly from battery the led on switch will stay illuminated. Or you have to wire it so led is off when turned on. I wired mine through a fuse tap out of fusebox so everything shuts off when key is turned off.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There should be directions on switch for proper wiring. I installed Daystar switches to mine they work fine. There is constant power to switch and they only illuminate when pressed and lights are on whether ignition on or not. That is the way I wanted them. You have any pics of your wiring to switch?
Old 12-22-2019, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem with my KC Slimlights. Switching the green and white wires works.

Quick Reply: Aux switch still illuminated when ignition is off? PLZ help