Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aux Power Panel - My Version

Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all. I'm going to revisit this whole project before I install now. Sometimes it's good I take a while to get projects done. I'm not incredibly electrically inclined so I just drew this thing up and gave it to my engineer buddy. Maybe my question should have been "what will work better" rather than just "will this work." He did all the math up before I wired it, I really didn't understand some of it. I have just basic electrical knowledge. I know enough to get in trouble...At this point, I'm giong to have him do it again though.
I used the 87 and 87A contacts on the relay to the switches just so I didn't have both switch indications on at the same time. As it's wired now, when main power is applied, the switches light up. When I turn one switch on, the other light comes on, the original lamp goes out. The switches are Contura Rockers from OTRATTW.
The fuse block is actually rated for 30a on each circuit. At least that's what it's box said. It does look a little cheap, I guess. Found it at Autozone. It's a Bussman.
I'll be checking the 60a main relay and switch also. Again, my buddy said it would work. I questioned it, because the math didn't really make sense to me. Still doesn't. My math was more along GR09RUBI's lines. But since I started this project, I've also found out that there are spaces in the factory fuse panel that are ignition activated. So I'm thinking now, that I may just do away with that whole deal and use those.
I'm also going to look for a new box. I got the one I have free and free stuff is always good. I wanted to mount in under the hood somewhere but that box was too deep. I think I'll just see about finding something else and work on fine tuning this a bit. I'd rather have it right than fast.

Thanks all. I appreciate all the input and ideas.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dlfish35
Thank you all. I'm going to revisit this whole project before I install now. Sometimes it's good I take a while to get projects done. I'm not incredibly electrically inclined so I just drew this thing up and gave it to my engineer buddy. Maybe my question should have been "what will work better" rather than just "will this work." He did all the math up before I wired it, I really didn't understand some of it. I have just basic electrical knowledge. I know enough to get in trouble...At this point, I'm giong to have him do it again though.
I used the 87 and 87A contacts on the relay to the switches just so I didn't have both switch indications on at the same time. As it's wired now, when main power is applied, the switches light up. When I turn one switch on, the other light comes on, the original lamp goes out. The switches are Contura Rockers from OTRATTW.
The fuse block is actually rated for 30a on each circuit. At least that's what it's box said. It does look a little cheap, I guess. Found it at Autozone. It's a Bussman.
I'll be checking the 60a main relay and switch also. Again, my buddy said it would work. I questioned it, because the math didn't really make sense to me. Still doesn't. My math was more along GR09RUBI's lines. But since I started this project, I've also found out that there are spaces in the factory fuse panel that are ignition activated. So I'm thinking now, that I may just do away with that whole deal and use those.
I'm also going to look for a new box. I got the one I have free and free stuff is always good. I wanted to mount in under the hood somewhere but that box was too deep. I think I'll just see about finding something else and work on fine tuning this a bit. I'd rather have it right than fast.

Thanks all. I appreciate all the input and ideas.
Your engineering buddy did you a very good job. There are a couple of small issues that I personally would change. But, over all, It's a well organized install. The Hoffman enclosure is a nice touch. But I was wondering how you were going to shuve it under the hood.

Quick Reply: Aux Power Panel - My Version