Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aux Power Panel - My Version

Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux Power Panel - My Version

I've been putting this thing together for a while now. I have yet to mount this in my Jeep, soon though. Waiting on a warm day. No heater in my garage. Basically, I plan to mount this behind the drivers seat or passenger seat, between the wheel well and the roll bar. Then I'll have my switches mounted either on the A pillar or use the daystar lower dash panel. It's all wired except for the master switch, which just allows power to all the relays. After that, all I need to do is wire whatever I'm hooking in right to the terminal board I have inside this box. What do you think? Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Power Panel.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	286073Click image for larger version

Name:	0208121513.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	286074
Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Do you plan to install a fuse or circuit breaker on the positive lead near the battery?
(edit to add: The fuse/breaker rating is determined by the wire size and length. Not by total value of fuses in the box.)

Compare your schematic to this diagram.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-07-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dlfish35
I've been putting this thing together for a while now. I have yet to mount this in my Jeep, soon though. Waiting on a warm day. No heater in my garage. Basically, I plan to mount this behind the drivers seat or passenger seat, between the wheel well and the roll bar. Then I'll have my switches mounted either on the A pillar or use the daystar lower dash panel. It's all wired except for the master switch, which just allows power to all the relays. After that, all I need to do is wire whatever I'm hooking in right to the terminal board I have inside this box. What do you think? Attachment 286073Attachment 286074
Very orginized install. But like Ron said, you need a primary fuse. Also, if I can offer one more suggestion, I't isn't necessary to "Switch" the distribution power for the relays. You can accomplish the same thing by using an accessory circuit for control power.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice work. X3 on the primary fuse or circuit breaker. You can get one for a reasonable price at AutoZone or Advance. I saw one the other day that was a 150-amp breaker and I think it was $25 or something like that.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

The primary fuse or breaker has to be rated to protect the wire, based on wire size and length.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The primary fuse or breaker has to be rated to protect the wire, based on wire size and length.
Or total load. As long as the total load is less then the rateing of the wire.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Or total load. As long as the total load is less then the rateing of the wire.
Yes. But no need to limit the fuse to total load if the wire can handle more.
I mentioned it because a lot of people don't associate a fuse with protection of the wire it's in series with.

To take it a little further, the fuses in the box must be rated to protect the wires to the accessories, which must be large enough to safely carry the accessory load.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

Yes. But no need to limit the fuse to total load if the wire can handle more.
I mentioned it because a lot of people don't associate a fuse with protection of the wire it's in series with.

To take it a little further, the fuses in the box must be rated to protect the wires to the accessories, which must be large enough to safely carry the accessory load.
Acceptable. This "Distance vs Wire Size" still has me confused. But it is possible to have a need to oversize the conductor to maintain the load rateing. Thus - "Fuse to load with ample wire rateing".
Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Thus - "Fuse to load with ample wire rateing".
That will keep things safe. The installer has to know what "ample wire rating" is.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

That will keep things safe. The installer has to know what "ample wire rating" is.
Aggread.
Ample wire rating = ( 1st ) Total load applied + ( 2nd ) consideration for distance.

This determines fuse size!

If the distance of the circuit requires the installer to increase the wire size, increasing the fuse size at the same time would be unacceptable.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 03-07-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Aux Power Panel - My Version