Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Audio system upgrade

Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio system upgrade

Purchased a 2012 Ruby wih the 730 infinity system. Not happy with the sound. I am considering replacing the speakers and amp with Focal. Does anyone have any advice on their upgrade using the same mfg.? I would really, really appreciate the input bopefre I dump all kinds of $$$$$$$$.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have heard the Focal but I think they are too expensive when you can get the same sound or better with a cheaper brand name speaker. I have Alpine type R's in my rollbar and the type S components up front. It sounds great but I just wished I had the type R components up front. Think I blew one of the speakers and it sounds like the stock infinity speakers that came with the JK.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by grassmaster
Purchased a 2012 Ruby wih the 730 infinity system. Not happy with the sound. I am considering replacing the speakers and amp with Focal. Does anyone have any advice on their upgrade using the same mfg.? I would really, really appreciate the input bopefre I dump all kinds of $$$$$$$$.
I was thinking about getting the Focals, but i got the Image Dynamics XS65 components and I must tell you they are great, about the only other speaker I would recommend is Hertz I got those in the vette but they're more money, as for the amp I happen to like Arc Audio 300.4 that's what i have in the jeep and it rocks.Remember if you're keeping your Head unit you may want to look into adding a Audio Processor because no matter what speakers you get the sound would only be as good as your Head unit.
just my .002 cents
Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Best thing to do is go listen to some high end component sets and compare because what sounds good to one person might not sound good to you
Old 11-28-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are right, everyone's ear is different but I have to say I love the Focal's they have excellent sound and I have not heard anything that sounds as good for the price. Go listen to them and then make your choice it's not about name or price but sound. Ok so price is important as well.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Which focal sets are we referring to, last I looked focal made quite a few and they were very pricey. I am still using a set of Boston Z6 components in my 07 JK but the crossovers are huge. I am also running the Alpine PDX-5 amp in the dash with a Kenwood head unit. My new 2012 I would like to retain the factory head unit, but it looks like I will have to run the sound through the factory amp in order to have volume control, then mute it down to line level only to be amplified again with my amp...this doesn't sound like it is likely to add up to the sound quality that would be worth the cost of speakers like that. I guess I would be better off selling the $1800 mygig on ebay and getting an aftermarket unit that would no doubt be of better quality and would allow the in dash aftermarket amp placement as well. Is there any way to utilize the factory head unit without the infinity amp in the vehicle?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PETETLR

I was thinking about getting the Focals, but i got the Image Dynamics XS65 components and I must tell you they are great, about the only other speaker I would recommend is Hertz I got those in the vette but they're more money, as for the amp I happen to like Arc Audio 300.4 that's what i have in the jeep and it rocks.Remember if you're keeping your Head unit you may want to look into adding a Audio Processor because no matter what speakers you get the sound would only be as good as your Head unit.
just my .002 cents
I have the stock head unit by system sounds epic!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by grassmaster
May want to check the Kicker upgrade that came in 2009-10 Grand Cherokee SRT8....

It could be plug and play with a 730 ...

Old 12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

this is what i used

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28

running a massive audio nano 5 channel amp and replaced all the stock speakers with hybrid audio.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default tried to keep it simple

added a jl 500/3 run the 2 ch to the stock dash components and the sub to a box i built to perfect specs.

a little tweaking and it sounds as good as the bose in my tahoe, even better in the low end.

look for a long thread showing my lift, wheels and tires, audio upgrade with knob control for sub in the panel of buttons where the hazzards are... we'll talk more about that - it was a bear!

drop in KN filter

hardwired nav

destickered

rbp grill

metal mullisha center cap on spare only

pics and long write up coming around the 1 month mark 12-11-11

Last edited by ALEXANDERJASON; 12-09-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Audio system upgrade