Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Attempt at step by step of a Rigid Dually D2 tied to the reverse circuit w/BDF mount

Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempt at step by step of a Rigid Dually D2 tied to the reverse circuit w/BDF mount

ok i'm going to take a stab at uploading the pictures i took and try to describe each step...

things you will need...

(1) Rigid Dually LED - you can use either the Rigid Dually or the Rigid Dually D2 led light
(1) BDF Rear LED bracket - BDF stands for Black Diamond Fabrication - you can buy their products from northridge4x4

a soldering iron and solder
liquid tape and/or heat shrink tubing and a heat source to shrink the heat shrink tubing, i used a heat gun

some extra wire of the same gauge or larger than the factory wiring used for the reverse lights (i don't know what gauge it was but i was able to match or exceed it)

a good pair of wire strippers

First thing i did when the Dually D2 led light arrived i opened the box and plugged it into a battery using the supplied wiring harness/switch etc just to make sure it worked so if i had problems i would KNOW that it was something i screwed up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	295618

so obviously the light worked great out of the box, it was like opening a box and finding the sun

i removed the brake light module from the back of the jeep so i didn't have to try and do all of this in my driveway, instead i used the island in my kitchen for all the steps right up until i reinstalled it to the jeep to test it...

then i drilled the 4 holes, 3 holes for screws and one bigger hole for the wire from the D2 led

so you attach the bracket to the factory brake light enclosure using the supplied screws

before you do anything with the wire from the light install the grommet first!

you may need to use a pair of needle nose pliers to help the wires fit through the small hole in the grommet.

please note you have to cut off the plug that comes on the led or take the plug apart, to get the wire to fit through the grommet

Name:	Bare Wires.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	295610

now i chose to wire the led directly into the factory reverse wiring, i know the pros and cons of doing it this way vs. using a relay and running power directly from the battery etc. but i made the decision to do it this way at least for now...

you will need some extra wire as the wire from the led isn't long enough to reach the factory reverse wire loom

the led has a red wire for positive and a black wire for ground, the factory reverse light loom has three wires, one white and two black, i selected the farthest black wire from the white wire and i stripped back enough of the wire so i could wrap the negative wire from the LED to test the circuit and it worked great!

i soldered both of the wires and then covered them with liquid tape (thanks to someone on here who recommended it)

i then put heat shrink over the solder joints just to be safe

when you put the backup light module back onto the jeep the top fits a little bit tight because of the wire for the Rigid LED light, you may want to use a file or some snips to open the hole, i chose to leave it be for now...

once you put everything back together you can adjust up and down for just the right angle.

i took a bunch more photos but for some reason the bulletin board software won't let me upload more than two of them

if anyone has an questions i'll do my best to answer them, i'm a diy novice when it comes to electrical, i've done a lot of stereo's and car alarms but this is my first foray into lighting for my jeep

i'm adding two of the rigid duallys to the factory fog light openings next!

matthew
Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good writeup, please post more pics when you can (particularly of the finished product). I was thinking about doing this too.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice writeup. Thanks! Im going to be doing this in a few weeks actually.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by shoe1724
Nice writeup. Thanks! Im going to be doing this in a few weeks actually.
Ok some tricky wire striping and soldering, the factory wire is pretty small and they don't leave any slack

Matthew
Old 03-26-2012, 02:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by CF2010
Good writeup, please post more pics when you can (particularly of the finished product). I was thinking about doing this too.
here are two pictures...its still light out here so i haven't had an opportunity to get nighttime shots

matthew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Close-Up.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	295718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Last-Picture.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	295719  
Old 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

here is a nightime shot...

Name:	day-for-night.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	295768

this thing is almost too bright!

matthew
Old 03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you unhook your reverse lights? Or did you put a switch on them.

Edit: never mind. Just saw your newest post.

Last edited by Bull; 03-26-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the write up mat I have a question, when you cut the connector off the rigid light to fit the wire through the tail light, did u reconnect the plug or just extended the red and black wires from the dually to the reverse wires and spliced it. I think my problem was I disassembled the connector to fit it through the tail light, resembled it, then plugged it to the other end of the connector, and then cut the red and black wires that where going to the switch and spliced those with the reverse wires witch was a black ground and white wire with a green strip. If that makes any sense
Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JeepManUnlimited
Thanks for the write up mat I have a question, when you cut the connector off the rigid light to fit the wire through the tail light, did u reconnect the plug or just extended the red and black wires from the dually to the reverse wires and spliced it. I think my problem was I disassembled the connector to fit it through the tail light, resembled it, then plugged it to the other end of the connector, and then cut the red and black wires that where going to the switch and spliced those with the reverse wires witch was a black ground and white wire with a green strip. If that makes any sense
I tried to disassemble the plug but wound up just cutting it off, then I stripped down the end and used the red and the black wires

Maybe when you reconnected the plug you swapped wires or maybe one just isn't seated properly?

Can you reconnect the wiring harness they supplied to test it out?

For my rigid dually install I ordered the pigtail connectors from rigid so I won't have to cut off the plugs!

Matthew
Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Matt how much clearance is there between the light and the jeep's top. I have a hard top and after looking at some pics, I'm a little worried that I would smash the light when i take the top off. Thanks
Rich