Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Aquiring Signal Since I put Hardtop back on.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aquiring Signal Since I put Hardtop back on.

At the weekend I put my hardtop back on and now I get "acquiring signal" whenever I go under a bridge, I am talking at 65 under a 2 lane bridge normally no problems but now with the hard top its constant.

Is there anyway to test the signal strength? I figure its antenna related but dont want to buy/replace/install if I can avoid it, I am hoping its just a bad connection.

Any suggestions? If I do have to replace the antenna how tough is that? And any suggestions for a new make/brand of antenna?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are lucky.

I can lose reception here in Canada (must be the angle due to being north of you) with the top OFF in town near 4-story buildings, on trails with trees along the sides, etc

It's not much worse for me with the hard top on.

I'd love to only have to worry about it cutting out going under over passes.

Jamie
Old 11-29-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I lose satellite signal coming in/out of the garage (granted our house is a concrete home...only the garage is stick built), as well as several spots in town...they are even direction dependent in some cases...going one direction does not result in loss of signal...other direction does.

I think it is simply the nature of the beast.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

for me it depends on what time of day I drive past a certain wind break of trees no matter what direction. The leaves have fallen and still goes silent every morning on the way to work. I feel your pain but I think its just the crappy place the antena is.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

I understand that the antenna is poorly placed but what I dont understand is that when I have ridden with the hard top I have not experienced the signal loss issues I am now having. So I figure something has either shifted or gotten damaged during the summer of soft top driving, after looking around I found this thread -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...sirius+antenna

It looks like I can attach a regular Sirius Antenna and have it direct line of sight and fingers crossed improve signal.

Quick Reply: Aquiring Signal Since I put Hardtop back on.