Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anyone try powering an amplifier via 12v Plug in rear cargo area?

Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone try powering an amplifier via 12v Plug in rear cargo area?

Just wondering if anyone's done this. I would think this would be advised against for a lot of reasons, obviously the puny factory wiring gauge for the 12v cigarette lighter power can't handle anything serious, you would need to jump the 12v for turn on circuit and you'd have to have a plug w/ wire coming out of the socket. It's just tempting because basically you have a power/ground already run to the back of the jeep nice and clean. If this works maybe for smaller less current intensive amps you wouldn't need to run power from the vehicle battery. I was thinking you could just take the speaker level outputs from the factory subwoofer to get signal to the amp then just grab the 12v power from the cigarette lighter power located on the subwoofer in '11, '12 models. Just curious..
Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't suggest powering it off of that line, however what you can do is use that line for the trigger of the amplifier to turn on. Many amps just need a small voltage to know when to turn on, and being that the Cig Lighter is a keyed circuit, it will turn on with the start of the Jeep!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

I put a Polk 600w amp in to power the soundbar and sub. Ran a 4 g power and ground wire w a 100 amp fuse.

Cig lighter in rear will short out... Don't try it.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DudeManBro
It's just tempting because basically you have a power/ground already run to the back of the jeep nice and clean.
You can run heavy gauge wires anywhere in the Jeep, and have it just as "nice and clean".
Old 02-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx

You can run heavy gauge wires anywhere in the Jeep, and have it just as "nice and clean".
I agree. And its the only way you will get enough power to run a modest amp
Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

I run a small 150 watt amp from it without any problems...
Old 02-11-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Kicker Bassstation sells some self amplified boxes that I am sure the plug could be used to power them.

I bought one and when I saw the wire guage that Kicker supplied for the power I knew it wasn't going to meet the expectations I was hoping for so I returned it, but the power wire from what I could tell was about the same.

I would make sure to run the appropriate fuse if you were to try it.

EDIT:tallfrog74 is about right I think the built in amp was about 150w.

Quick Reply: Anyone try powering an amplifier via 12v Plug in rear cargo area?