Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anyone try the E3 Diamond Fire Spark Plugs ?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoridinTX
So, for those that have had these plugs for 20+ days now. Do you still notice the improved power, MPG, Idle?

I am thinking about getting a set of these as well, just curious what the impressions are after almost a month.
I am still pleased with my plugs and continue to have more throttle response during acceleration (especially under 45 mph) and smoother idle. I wouldn't say there is any more total power. I have not manual checked my MPGs - but thats not what I bought them for.

My JK is stock from a drivetrain/body/tire & wheel perspective - I wonder if those of us that are running stock are experiencing improvements that those running mods are not......
Old 08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

I stopped by Pepboys today. Didn't carry E3s, but wasn't necessarily dead set on them as a had to have...I picked up a set of Bosch Platinum +4s. If you look hard enough, you can find positive and negative comments on anything. What are your alls feeling about the ones I picked up? They are pre gapped and seem similar in that there are 4 prongs running up to the electrode.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Well I replaced my plugs at around 4900 miles, I had a rough idle that I really did not like with the stock plugs. I noticed an immediate difference in the idle with the new E3s. The idle was much smoother and I no longer get the rough idle that lasted about 2 to 3 seconds.

I now have ~2000 miles on them since the change, and am still happy with them. I have noticed only one session of rough idle, after being parked for 8 hours in 100+ degree day.

I did not notice any mileage improvement after the change.

My plugs looked like tkob1060 after only 4900 miles.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

I picked up a set from the local Advance Auto Parts...$6.99/each The only thing is, I checked them when I got home and 4 of them are the same length...but two of them are slightly longer on the threaded end (maybe 1/8" longer)....that can't be good. I called Advance and they ordered some more, so now I'm gonna have to go back and make sure ALL of them are the same length!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
I picked up a set from the local Advance Auto Parts...$6.99/each The only thing is, I checked them when I got home and 4 of them are the same length...but two of them are slightly longer on the threaded end (maybe 1/8" longer)....that can't be good. I called Advance and they ordered some more, so now I'm gonna have to go back and make sure ALL of them are the same length!
Wow, very interesting, I did not check that at all. But so far no problems here....
Old 08-08-2009, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

I just intalled the Bosch Platinum +4s this AM. They are similar to the E3s in that they have several prongs leding up to the electrode and do not require gaping. Not too bad of an install, but definately have a swivel and some extensions on hand (swivel head socket wrench was a plus). Use a good spark plug socket as you won't want the plugs falling out as you snake them out from those tight spaces. Just take your time and remember the orientation of the plugs on the passenger side to make reinstllation easier (they are all tilted back significantly) as you can't really see the holes. The lift on the jeep didn't help!

Always a good hint to blow some compressed air at the current plug before you change it to prevent crud from falling into engine.

I did remove the brackets on the passenter side for the heater hoses and pulled off the large rubber line going to the airbox.

Used antiseize (there was none on factory plugs.

For those not using a torque wrench, 13-15 ftlbs is barely past hand tight - be careful!

On the initial post install test run, it seems to have mor pep on acceleration. So hard to tell. Will keep an eye on milage on the dash.

Last edited by kflash; 08-08-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

OK, I got mine straightened out...went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and compared the E3's that I had to the Champion plugs that came from factory...the "longer" E3's were the ones I needed, so I made sure to have 6 matching plugs and the install went very easy. As stated, a swivel head plug socket, extensions, and a long handle ratchet really helped!!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I got mine straightened out...went to O'Reilly Auto Parts and compared the E3's that I had to the Champion plugs that came from factory...the "longer" E3's were the ones I needed, so I made sure to have 6 matching plugs and the install went very easy. As stated, a swivel head plug socket, extensions, and a long handle ratchet really helped!!
How does it run? any "better"?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
How does it run? any "better"?
It definitely runs smoother...I was starting to get a rough idle, and now it's perfect. It MAY have a little more pep, but it's hard to say really...definitely not any worse, that's for sure.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool beans, I'll probably give them a shake in few months. I bet i'll be in the August superchips sale, so that'll be my little power bump for a bit.

Quick Reply: Anyone try the E3 Diamond Fire Spark Plugs ?