Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anyone try the E3 Diamond Fire Spark Plugs ?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got a set from Summit Racing. Gonna put um in tomorrow. Summit seems to be about the cheapest place to get them.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand how spark plugs can make that much of a difference? It seems that if the spark plug was working correctly inside the vehicle that it would ignite all the fuel. I have trouble grasping how one brand or type of plug can ignite the fuel better than the other? I am not bashing the E3 or spitfire or bosch +4 at all. I am hoping that maybe someone on here has some highspeed video of different plugs under the same circumstances and producing different outcomes. I understand the theory that if the plug burns all the fuel it makes more energy on each stroke and it would take less fuel to produce the same amount of energy as before ... but does this really happen? In my head the compressed gas and air would all burn if any of it was ignited. There is no unburned fuel dripping out my tailpipe. Also I would think that all of these cars that manufacturers are trying to make get insane MPG would have multi-prong or whatever plugs but they just use reg ones. With all these new regulations on having to get a certain mpg average for an entire brand you would think that any little bit of mpg would help. Is there any production vehicle using these ,or +4s, or splitfires?
Old 05-18-2009, 02:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I don't understand how spark plugs can make that much of a difference? It seems that if the spark plug was working correctly inside the vehicle that it would ignite all the fuel. I have trouble grasping how one brand or type of plug can ignite the fuel better than the other? I am not bashing the E3 or spitfire or bosch +4 at all. I am hoping that maybe someone on here has some highspeed video of different plugs under the same circumstances and producing different outcomes. I understand the theory that if the plug burns all the fuel it makes more energy on each stroke and it would take less fuel to produce the same amount of energy as before ... but does this really happen? In my head the compressed gas and air would all burn if any of it was ignited. There is no unburned fuel dripping out my tailpipe. Also I would think that all of these cars that manufacturers are trying to make get insane MPG would have multi-prong or whatever plugs but they just use reg ones. With all these new regulations on having to get a certain mpg average for an entire brand you would think that any little bit of mpg would help. Is there any production vehicle using these ,or +4s, or splitfires?
I don't know anything about these particular plugs, but it has more to do with getting a good flame front than burning all the fuel.
How and where the fire starts can make a difference in the power and efficiency.
I remember a lab, deep in the basement of a building on campus, that had a transparent cylinder wall and high-speed cameras. They had all sorts of pictures and write-ups regarding the efficiency improvements they were seeking. I never took such a class or dug any deeper into the subject, but it made sense to me.

Last edited by sixt7gt350; 05-18-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
Great questions. I've always lacked a solid understanding of this also. I know first hand that they do make a difference in 2-stroke engines such as jetskis, but that also has to do with keeping them clean and burning thru the oil that is combined with the gas in the chamber.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
JK Jedi

I put my sparkum plugs in today. I don't know how yall do it, but I always pick the hardest one on the hardest side first. That would be the rear one on the passenger side. Really not that tough at all. All I used was a long handle 3/8 ratchet and a Snap On 5/8 universal spark plug socket.

Here's a shot of where the right rear plug is. The plug wire goes where the red circle is.

Here's a comparison between the stock plug and the E3. That's anti Sieze compound globbed on the threads. If you don't use it, you'll be sorry.

I'm gonna drive it tonight to our men's club meeting at church and I'll let yall know if there's any noticable difference.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure of the science behind the spark plugs, but I know that when I put the PII in my explorer, I gained 3mph and very noticible seat of the pants gains
I am pretty sure the theory of a complete burn not being affected by the plug is correct, however I don't think in real life you get a complete burn every time, that is why you can get some gains out of different plugs
Old 05-18-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Jedi

I have to admit.....although begrudgingly........I can feel a difference. I've never really believed the hype about plugs like these, but all the hooplah was just too much to resist. There's no question at ALL that the Jeep idles smoother. I feel a difference in power, too....RIGHT off the line from a stand still is where I can feel it the most. I'm actually impressed.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting...
Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I have to admit.....although begrudgingly........I can feel a difference. I've never really believed the hype about plugs like these, but all the hooplah was just too much to resist. There's no question at ALL that the Jeep idles smoother. I feel a difference in power, too....RIGHT off the line from a stand still is where I can feel it the most. I'm actually impressed.
Keep us posted on whether you think that "difference" you feel is still there after 300 miles. I know that every time that I upgraded to a K&N filter, I immediately felt a difference, but after the computer re-calibrated...well, there was an improvement, but not near as much as day 1 of the install.

Also, how many miles on your plugs when you changed them? Wondering when the average plug begins to wear down.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:37 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Big Clint
Keep us posted on whether you think that "difference" you feel is still there after 300 miles. I know that every time that I upgraded to a K&N filter, I immediately felt a difference, but after the computer re-calibrated...well, there was an improvement, but not near as much as day 1 of the install.

Also, how many miles on your plugs when you changed them? Wondering when the average plug begins to wear down.
Just a tick over 17K on mine now. Also, this was pulling an unloaded utility trailer to church and loaded with a go cart from church. This thing ain't like my powerstroke. I can feel the empty trailer. I wouldda forgot the thing was back there in my diesel. Even loaded. My thinkin was that if I can feel a difference in power pullin a trailer, it must be there. I'll try to remember to measure mileage too.

Quick Reply: Anyone try the E3 Diamond Fire Spark Plugs ?