Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anyone know what this is or what it's for?

Old 10-17-2022, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know what this is or what it's for?

Hey Everyone, I purchased another midlife crisis JK to have some fun with. Its a 2007 Wrangler X. I got it pretty cheap and it runs amazing but I keep finding aftermarket stuff on it and I am not sure what to do with it or if it even works. I have two things I am hoping this awesome community can help me out with. First one is under my hood. It looks like some kid of mercury switch or something but the wires just go into a bunch of other wires. Plus it was raining so I didn't get a chance to trace them back to anything. 2nd is a little push button I found under my dash on the drivers side also can't seem to trace it back to anything and I can't twist like that anymore to figure it out lol. I also discovered I have a remote start that doesn't work so maybe it goes to that? any help would be greatly appreciated. I've had about 7 (CJ7, YJ, TJ, JK,JKU and JL) Wranglers in my time and they are too fun not to have another.

Last edited by RobRo; 10-17-2022 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 411 Likes on 386 Posts

Welcome to JKF.. Interesting wiring you inherited, good luck .. trace it and see where it connects .. Good Group here, alot of knowledge.
The following users liked this post:
RobRo (10-18-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

JEEZ, thought I'd have a million replies by now LOL
Old 11-02-2022, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Okay RobRo here's one million one reply ... the first pic IMO is a capacitor add-on. The 2nd pic looks to be as you suggest a switch. Could it be a kill switch for anti-theft ? looks also to be aftermarket. Mopar remote start... don't you need a key fob to make that work?
Old 11-02-2022, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you!! Been scratching my head and the Jeep is in my storage garage so haven't been able to get it to follow the wires. Hoping to do it asap before it gets cold.

Quick Reply: Anyone know what this is or what it's for?