Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Anyone got comparison shots between the Truck Lite LED headlights and stock JKs?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide
Which means they're basically useless if one lives in an area that see's snow on a regular basis, as the heat from the lamp might not melt the snow from the lens.
maybe ?
We don't get snow in San Diego
Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

Wow. And I thought my stock headlights were ok. Hahaha.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

There's no maybe about it. I've had it happen to my HIDs once. It's something that some of us have to consider based on where we live.
Absolutely.

The JW Speaker LEDs have a fan inside that blow warm air from the heatsink forward to warm the lens for that purpose. Pretty nifty.
The fans are rated at 100,000 hours and make a pleasant little whirring sound.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

It's something that some of us have to consider based on where we live.
I totally agree
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

Hilldweller, did you get a chance to shoot the other ones yet? I love the shots of the ones you have done so far!
Old 03-14-2011, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hilldweller
Absolutely.

The JW Speaker LEDs have a fan inside that blow warm air from the heatsink forward to warm the lens for that purpose. Pretty nifty.
The fans are rated at 100,000 hours and make a pleasant little whirring sound.
Are JW speakers about 4300K or 5000k?..also noticed they dont cover much of the immediate front area, a bit ahead of your bumper...
Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiconEurope
Are JW speakers about 4300K or 5000k?..also noticed they dont cover much of the immediate front area, a bit ahead of your bumper...
the fogs do a nice job of covering the area that the JW speaker appear to miss.. looks awful bright pretty far out.. makes me wonder if blinding other drivers could be an issue with the JW speaker
-Christopher
Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiconEurope
Closer to 5000K. But not in a "ricer" or HID way. It's hard to explain, really.
I had a MINI with factory HIDs and I hated the lights. But I really like the LED light and can see well by it.

Originally Posted by adamk73
Hilldweller, did you get a chance to shoot the other ones yet? I love the shots of the ones you have done so far!
I got a set of Delta "Xenon" (blue tint) bulbs in the mail and put them in a pair of Hella reflectors. The power is via a Rallylights bypass harness:

Delta bulbs lowbeam:

Delta bulbs highbeam:

Then, same Rubicon, same Hella reflector, same aim height. We swapped in an old set of Phillips Xtreme Power +80 60/55 bulbs.

Phillips Xtreme lowbeam:

The maximum LUX value was incredible for this combo.

Hella's highbeams are a little too high and the lowbeam is a little too low for my taste. It's a good reflector if you live in Florida or other flat state and do lots of interstate travel on cruise control.
The Delta bulbs are just as bad as PIAA, Silverstar, or IPF; avoid those if you actually want to see where you're going.

Bogdan at Delta did tell me that their lights are available with clear bulbs too; and they have a DOT compliant reflector in the works. I know they have a passion for lighting; I just hope they drop the non-performing products.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
the fogs do a nice job of covering the area that the JW speaker appear to miss.. looks awful bright pretty far out.. makes me wonder if blinding other drivers could be an issue with the JW speaker
-Christopher
The stock fogs don't blind oncoming traffic but I'm afraid that the Truck-Lite LED floods do.
The Speakers don't unless you get hit by a bad angle.

That's one of the drawbacks of a lifted vehicle when you talk about lighting. The angle of the light changes so much when we go up and down hills that our lights shine all over the place. Add the bounce effect of our springs and the dynamics of braking, etc, and you can see why we get flashed so often.

We've developed an unscientific test called the "walking toward the Jeep test" to subjectively measure glare harshness. The Deltas and IPFs were the worst; you couldn't walk back to the Jeep without squinting in pain. The Speakers and Cibies were the best and you could keep looking right at the Jeep.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

The Cibies aren't made anymore, correct? What available lens today gives as nice as beam pattern as those? Are the cibie replicas that are available any good?

Quick Reply: Anyone got comparison shots between the Truck Lite LED headlights and stock JKs?