Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Any way to get topo maps?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to get topo maps?

I have a 2012 with the 430n media center and would like to get garmin topo maps installed. Is there a way to do that? Perhaps with a lockpick. I have been searching for solutions but I'm not having much luck. Called Garmin aand they said that the unit wasn't designed for that, but didn't say it wouldn't work either. Anyone have a solution?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not for garmin, I have an iPhone app called topomaps, you have the ability to download every topomap in the US. I highly recommend it
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

The cute little screen on our jeeps doesn't actually like to be useful for what we do iPhone, iPad, handheld gps all have topo apps, but I've never found anything for mygig.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

I have an app on my android based phone called backcountry that works well, but would like the bigger screen and controls on the in dash unit. Guess I could use the lockpick and then display the phone's image on the jeeps screen, but I was wanting to find a way to get topos without using my phone or handheld gps unit.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Super Freak

If you do find something, let us know...
Old 03-24-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Newbie

Will do, it just seems that if the street maps can be updated then one should be able to add topo style maps.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I tried to make Garmin's topo map software work with my UMPC's embedded GPS to no avail. I called them and they said their topo maps only work with their own GPS', so probably also does not work with the Jeep's system. Boomer...

To solve this problem I installed Oruxmaps on my Acer A100 tablet. Just download the maps and it works offline with the tablet's embedded GPS.

I hung the A100 on the e-dock using a RAM mount. It's in front of the radio, but my radio is the standard model so it actually uses some valuable "real estate" and does not add much value for its size.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3984673504.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	294713
I tested it today and it works as a charm.

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 03-24-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grundiesel
Not for garmin, I have an iPhone app called topomaps, you have the ability to download every topomap in the US. I highly recommend it
Now that is sweet! I found a site that you can purchase maps from different regions. I still have a dumb phone and need to buck up and get me one.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backcountry Navigator is the best I have seen yet for Android. I use it all the time. Spend the bucks and get the paid version. It allows a lot more like being able to import and export data using Google Earth. You can snap pictures and geotag them to view in Google Earth too.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepguy553
Backcountry Navigator is the best I have seen yet for Android. I use it all the time. Spend the bucks and get the paid version. It allows a lot more like being able to import and export data using Google Earth. You can snap pictures and geotag them to view in Google Earth too.
I'm cheap. ;-)

Oruxmaps and the maps are free. What does Backcountry Navigator has besides the Google Maps data exchange and geotagging? I do not see myself using neither.

However, I could really use a high res map set. Oruxmaps' maps loose resolution beyond 400x and does not seem have all trails. But I'm still getting my way around it so it might be possible to get high-res maps.

How good is BN in this aspect? Also, are the maps free or we have to buy them? Kind of tired of being "nickel and dimed".

Quick Reply: Any way to get topo maps?