Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Any ideas on relocating wired mirrors and maintaining full function?

Old 12-20-2011, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas on relocating wired mirrors and maintaining full function?

As the title says, anyone done this or know of a kit that would work for a '12?
Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No comprende! Where are you wanting to relo this gear. And what functions do you anticipate loosing.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
No comprende! Where are you wanting to relo this gear. And what functions do you anticipate loosing.
Id like to relocate to the brackets on the windshield but I don't want to lose power adjustment or defrost. I neglected to mention it's on a '12
Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now I comprende! For some reason, I thought that you were talking about the windshield mirror. I am an electrician. And you can relocate anything that has wires. You just have to set your mind to it. I doubt that anyone else has done this mod yet. So you will probably be the first. Just locate the wires in the door that leads to the mirrors. Choose a good place to cut them leaving as much slack on the mirror as possible. Leave enough slack on the other side to splice back if needed. Number / indentify each wire on each side of the cut ( this way you do not even have to know what each wire does ). Then just simply relocate everything.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Now I comprende! For some reason, I thought that you were talking about the windshield mirror. I am an electrician. And you can relocate anything that has wires. You just have to set your mind to it. I doubt that anyone else has done this mod yet. So you will probably be the first. Just locate the wires in the door that leads to the mirrors. Choose a good place to cut them leaving as much slack on the mirror as possible. Leave enough slack on the other side to splice back if needed. Number / indentify each wire on each side of the cut ( this way you do not even have to know what each wire does ). Then just simply relocate everything.

Thanks JK, I figured the process would be something like this. I just didn't know if there was a writeup or some other methodology I could follow or even an aftermarket kit that would accommodate the wires. If I end up doing this mod I will take pics and do a writeup.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

A cheap way to do it is to let go of the electronics and get 'dumb' mirrors like most of us have. Sure you're losing convenience of the heat and remote, but you're not fucking anything up either.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by drivingfool
A cheap way to do it is to let go of the electronics and get 'dumb' mirrors like most of us have. Sure you're losing convenience of the heat and remote, but you're not fucking anything up either.
Yeah - part of me knows I'll never use the defrost and that once mirrors are adjusted, they stay in place. I may end up just getting a set of "dumb" ones for the summer when I run no doors...

Quick Reply: Any ideas on relocating wired mirrors and maintaining full function?