Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

any ideas on how to run a 24V system for OR lights?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by JeeP_MarK
some led product for heavy equipment and trucks are duel voltage even if there not listed hook it up to 12 volt battery to see if they turn on , ether they turn on or don't you won't hurt anything having less voltage . light manufactures do this to keep cost down having 1 board that works on both 12-24 volt systems. Let us know how it turns out ?
hey just got home cpl days ago tested the lights on a 12v and it was a no go.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

How many amps do you need? A voltage doubler circuit my do the trick.

Last edited by greglaw; 11-07-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figured I would scrawl something out. The only thing is you wouldnt be able to charge the battery and run the lights at the same time. You would have to get creative with some relays to allow it to charge without blowing things up.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

In all honesty it would be easier and cheaper to use something like this... http://ww w.powerstream.com/dc24.htm

A dual battery set up and all the relays and batteries themselves are way more expensive.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In all honesty it would be easier and cheaper to use something like this... http://ww w.powerstream.com/dc24.htm

A dual battery set up and all the relays and batteries themselves are way more expensive.
You do realize that the circuit design on the prrimary side of a "Boost Transformer" while have to be 2 times bigger than the total ouput of the secondary side of the transformer.

The cheapest and easiest way would be to add one of these.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17003_01.htm

Last edited by JK-Ford; 11-07-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
You do realize that the circuit design on the prrimary side of a "Boost Transformer" while have to be 2 times bigger than the total ouput of the secondary side of the transformer.

The cheapest and easiest way would be to add one of these.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17003_01.htm

You mean something like this?

Trust me, I know how expensive a dual battery set up can be.

How many watts does a 7" round LED head light take at 24vdc?
Old 11-08-2011, 03:53 AM
JK Junkie

Trust me, I know how expensive a dual battery set up can be.
Funny, I don't see your boost transformer in this pic?

How many watts does a 7" round LED head light take at 24vdc?
If you only want to do one set of lights @ 24v, then it may be more economical to do a boost transformer. But, to me, that would be a waste. But if you had 200w of light on a 24V system such as this. The primary side of the transformer would have to be wired for 400w. Or, lets say that you have a boost transformer that is rated @ 20A on the secondary side. The primary side will need to be wired for 40A. All this can work to your advantage on a standard ( 2 battery ) 24v system. Because you double the voltage of the system, the equipment will only draw 1/2 as much current. This leads to smaller fuses and wiring. Where as the boost transformer leads to larger fuses and larger wires.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 11-08-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Funny, I don't see your boost transformer in this pic?

I have no need of one. All of my accessories are 12vdc or 120vac.

I understand the nature of steping up power and the increase of amperage. I am simply stating that IF the LED lights only draw 50 watts each and he has 2 then it would be easier to run a $123 boost tranformer then to add a dual battery set up and relays to allow charging of the second battery. The downfall of a second battery is not being able to run the lights off of the alternator or charge the battery and run the lights at the same time. Once the battery dies the lights go out. The boost transformer could be run at any time.

If there is a way to charge both batteries and run the 24vdc lights I would love to see it (not sarcasm).
Old 11-08-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Junkie

Well I don't have the dual batttery system. But I do not understand what the diffuculty is in opperating a 24v lighting system off of a dual battery system. I know that it is not recommended. But a lot of people use their OEM alternator to charge both batteries at the same time. And a dual battery charger will try to keep both batteries charged. The battery that has the Jeep systems should get used the most. And if that one dies, you have more problems than your new lights not working. And either battery will discharge current even if it is being charged. And, the money you spen on the transformer could be applied to to the dual battery system. Bottom line - neither system is economical to opperate just one set of lights.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

hey if any of yall are interested i have 4 of these truck-lites for sale...

Quick Reply: any ideas on how to run a 24V system for OR lights?