Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

any ideas on how to run a 24V system for OR lights?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb any ideas on how to run a 24V system for OR lights?

Hey guys just acquired some truck-lite 7" LED O.R. lights and was wondering if theres a way to run a stand alone 24 volt system for them in my Jeep? prolly sounds stupid but ive been running these lights on our trucks here in iraq for a year and these things light up the night better than any light ive ever used. im tracking its gonna have to be a dual battery setup but my questions are with charging and not frying everything in my jeep! so if theres any wise men out there that have any ideas id greatly appreciate them. if its a lost cause let me know.

thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

You will have to run 2 12V batteries in series (24V total) for the light. The trick is that the jeep needs 12V. If you wire the jeep for 24v, you will fry most of the electronics including the alternator.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry , forgot the rest of my thought. Two batteries running parallel for the jeep and then a separate independent wiring for the lights placing the same batteries in series.
I have done the opposite set up before. Using a 36v system to power 12v lights.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OTB641
Sorry , forgot the rest of my thought. Two batteries running parallel for the jeep and then a separate independent wiring for the lights placing the same batteries in series.
I have done the opposite set up before. Using a 36v system to power 12v lights.
Yup that would work, as long as you never hook up the rest of the Jeeps system to the batteries hooked in series by mistake.

or you could get a 12volt to 24volt converter like these
http://w ww.powerstream.com/dc24.htm

Last edited by Robar; 11-06-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

some led product for heavy equipment and trucks are duel voltage even if there not listed hook it up to 12 volt battery to see if they turn on , ether they turn on or don't you won't hurt anything having less voltage . light manufactures do this to keep cost down having 1 board that works on both 12-24 volt systems. Let us know how it turns out ?
Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the input guys ill let yall know how turns out when i get home!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

High voltage systems are the better way to go. But you have to make room for the extra battery.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As another poster suggested, a second battery that's wired in parallel with your existing battery would probably be the way to go. You could then run a separate circuit that runs the two batteries in series, and provides 24 volts to a headlamp circuit that is controlled by a 12 volt relay, triggered by your stock headlight circuit.

I've got a similar relay setup for my Hella headlights - but they are 12 volt, so the "separate" circuit simply pulls power straight from the battery.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are dc to dc converters available. Some for as low as $100. Search for 12vdc to 24vdc converters and you'll get many hits. Just be sure you know the total wattage/amperage needed to run the new lights. Let us know what you finally did and how they worked.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
There are dc to dc converters available. Some for as low as $100. Search for 12vdc to 24vdc converters and you'll get many hits. Just be sure you know the total wattage/amperage needed to run the new lights. Let us know what you finally did and how they worked.
adding an additional battery would be more reasonable?

Quick Reply: any ideas on how to run a 24V system for OR lights?