Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Another wiring question.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another wiring question.

Hey guys,

I have just purchased some LEDs for my jeep and am getting ready to install them. I have never wired lights like this before and have scoured the forum and read as many posts as I could find. I think I understand how to do it but just need some confirmation that it's correct (I have attached a diagram below). My main question is, do I need fuses between the lights and the relays? Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	494713
Old 09-03-2013, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

No just between the battery source and the relay. You can also put a 5amp to your swich that energize the relays
Old 09-03-2013, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by v8zracer260z
No just between the battery source and the relay. You can also put a 5amp to your swich that energize the relays
Good point! Thanks!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRD725
Hey guys,

I have just purchased some LEDs for my jeep and am getting ready to install them. I have never wired lights like this before and have scoured the forum and read as many posts as I could find. I think I understand how to do it but just need some confirmation that it's correct (I have attached a diagram below). My main question is, do I need fuses between the lights and the relays? Thanks for the help.

Attachment 494713
Question has been answered, but thought I'd add...You don't really need two relays for this setup as long as the relay/fuse is rated to handle what the lights draw. I have my 4 RI Duallies spots run to 1 relay/fuse.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toolow262
Question has been answered, but thought I'd add...You don't really need two relays for this setup as long as the relay/fuse is rated to handle what the lights draw. I have my 4 RI Duallies spots run to 1 relay/fuse.
Thanks. I've always over done the stuff I've worked on. I really don't know how to calculate what the draw would be so I guess I was trying to make sure I didn't damage anything. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRD725

Thanks. I've always over done the stuff I've worked on. I really don't know how to calculate what the draw would be so I guess I was trying to make sure I didn't damage anything. Thanks for the info.
No problem that's what the forum is for. Quick example for you to reference, you can also find this with a search online...

i (amps) = w (watts) / v (volts)
Old 09-04-2013, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toolow262
No problem that's what the forum is for. Quick example for you to reference, you can also find this with a search online...

i (amps) = w (watts) / v (volts)
Thanks for the info. I plan on installing the lights with only one relay. Thanks again for the help!

Cheers!
Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Corrected wiring diagram. Thanks guys for all the help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring diagram 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	495012
Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks good depending on the wattage of your lights you can go smaller on your fuse to the lights. Use the above formula to figure out what you need. You can also use 14 gauge from the battery to terminal 30 and from 87 to the lights. The rest of the circuit can be 18 or 16 gauge wire since there is no load to speak of.

Quick Reply: Another wiring question.