Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Another electrical question from me...

Old 07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
cmg
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

Well I guess that it is a very good thing that we are only dealing with 12v here.

Sounds to me like you have no idea how little current it takes to stop a heart.
I was simply trying to illustrate the difference(in a very gross manner) between DC and AC of the same numerical quantity. I was CERTAINLY NOT advocating for someone to go and grab on to their home power lines for a good time.

And considering I have both a BS and MS in Electrical Engineering I am well aware of how little current it takes to stop a heart. While I admit I mostly deal with DC systems and not AC systems, I didn't realize I needed to provide a full lecture style work up to give advice on making sure you pick an appropriately rated part for your application.

CG

Last edited by cmg; 07-13-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by cmg
I was simply trying to illustrate the difference(in a very gross manner) between DC and AC of the same numerical quantity. I was CERTAINLY NOT advocating for someone to go and grab on to their home power lines for a good time.

And considering I have both a BS and MS in Electrical Engineering I am well aware of how little current it takes to stop a heart. While I admit I mostly deal with DC systems and not AC systems, I didn't realize I needed to provide a full lecture style work up to give advice on making sure you pick an appropriately rated part for your application.

CG
Don't worry, the only one you needed to explain that to is the dim wit JK-Ford. It was obvious from your original post that you never insinuated any of the things JK-Ford tried to impose with his made up fairy tales. He tries to go out of his way by making up B.S. in an effort to make himself feel smart, while putting others down at the same time but he is too dumb to realize he only continues to expose himself as being nothing but a hack who only knows enough to put others in danger if they actually listen to his nonsense.

He criticized me for suggesting to use a MOSFET as a DC relay switch, and said a "Triac" was a better switching device and Mosfets were just used in car stereos....a TriAC for switching DC voltages, where the "AC" in the name of the device even indicates it's an AC application electronic device. This was prior to him criticizing me when I was helping out another user, where I suggested a relay "may" not be necessary for switching a load that only drawed 7amps.

Just look at his posts in this discussion....he says, he's just "here to help others", but on the contrary when I was doing the same in another thread, he didn't help anyone but chose to come in and critique and criticize everything that "I" posted while I was trying to help someone else. I even asked him, why he chose to critique my posts, instead of just helping the OP, if he had better suggestions? He still didn't help the OP....but continued to just attack me and the information I posted, and made himself look like a fool in the process when he "tried" in a feeble attempt to make himself look smarter than me. It's obvious he's here to try to make himself "feel" smart.....by saying things like "just use Ohm's law".....but as shown, doesn't even know the differences between Ohm's Law and Joule's Law.

He has an obvious personality disorder of small man syndrome. Thus, the reason he chose to attack you by trying to discredit you with a far fetched fairy tale and to call me names when I pointed out his misunderstanding about "Ohm's Law".

Just look at this reply:
Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Hey! It's my old nemesis "RednDrool". Still attempting to practice your "Electrical Engineering" skills I see. Well keep at it grasshopper. And one day you too may become a Sensei
Here he calls me his "nemesis".....That is hilarious to me...."nemesis"???? I never even considered him to be on the same playing field, but he tries to put himself there along side me. "RednDrool"??? Oh Gee....call me names???.....I bet he thinks that puts himself on a higher level....but on the contrary....NOPE. Keep it up "grasshopper".....like I'm here and learning from him??? Then he even continues and calls himself a "Sensei". Really!!??? Really!!!??? His echo has totally gotten the best of him.

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-13-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cmg

CG
Originally Posted by Rednroll
You guys can quit trying to prove how smart you are now. Everyone else has moved on to better things.

See ya on the next post "Grasshopper".
Old 07-13-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i'm pretty sure my AC switch is holding up just fine. Thanks again JK-Ford for providing and quick, non sarcastic answer for info on the switch. All made sense to me after reading that. Just basic common sense on alot of it, it seems. Like I said before, I think the reason it wasn't working the first time was my soldering was pretty sloppy since I was trying to do it in dim light near my transfer case shifter!

Judging by the amount of lights you have on your rig i'd be comfortable in saying you know what you are talking about. Jeep still hasn't blown up but thats why I let the wife drive it for a few days after!

I'm sure the other kids replying in this thread are masters of electricity but didn't really provide a good response to my original post. BUT you did improve your keyboard warrior skills!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All these posts gave me bad flashbacks to my college years... Thank goodness my background is programming... I'll get me 17 year old to wire my lights...

Quick Reply: Another electrical question from me...